Chapter 17- Is This Love?

*Not Edited*

____________________

**April 14, 1912,**

"My friends and I were taken back to steerage. But that didn't stop me from going back to see him. We just sat on the benches at the stern of the boat, where everyone else continued to enjoy the fresh air."

"So how did it go?" They turned their heads, seeing Lonnie and Doug walking to them.

"Not that great," Mal replied as their two friends sat down. "They wouldn't even have us see them,"

"We live in different worlds," Lonnie said. "I say, we should all just forget about them,"

"So, your saying we should just forget that we dined with first-class, or that you may have a connection with Chad?"

"They are gods among mortals, we can't deny that. I really do like him, but I am just a mortal compared to him,"

Mal looked back at the balcony where she and her friends first saw the rich passengers. Full of determination, she got up from her seat. Everyone looked at her, a bit worried. They all followed her, seeing that she was on her way to the stairs that the third class from the second class.

Doug and Lonnie stopped at the gate but knew their friend wasn't thinking straight. They hesitated, then continued to follow Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos.

"They closed the door, Mal," Doug told him.

"He didn't close it." She said, leading them a high balcony. "They did."

"Evie, talk to her."

Evie grabbed her best friends shoulder. Mal looked back at her, then up at the balcony railing. "I am sorry, but I have to do this."

"¿Por que?" (Why?) Evie asked.

Mal frowned and jumped down. "Ben is the only one I told my secret and not run away. He understands me. He is trapped in this cage of expectations, someone has to set him free."

Evie smiled and hugged Mal. The foreign lady let go, and Mal quickly explained to everyone else. "I will be back before sunset. If I see Audrey, Jane or Chad, I'll tell them to see you all,"

She took in a deep breath and climbed up the balcony again. After looking around, she grabbed a man's jacket that was left nearby on a chair. The man wasn't looking since he was busy showing his son how to spin a top with a string.

Mal put the coat on, which was a bit big on her, and grabbed the hat. She hid her hair in the coat and slicked her loose strands of hair back with spit. As she walked away, she looked back at the railing she climbed over. She could hear her friends being ushered back to the lower deck.

*****************************

After the service, Ben, his family, friends have scheduled a tour of the ship. They were all now in the gym, where there were many pieces of equipment. Thomas Andrew was leading them, and the gym instructor, T.W. McCauley was telling them all what each piece of machinery was named, including the electric horse and the electric camel.

"This here is the rowing machine," McCauley explained, pointing at the mechanical device that the only woman in the gym used. He turned to Bella, and asked, "Would you care to try your hand at rowing, madam?"

"Don't be ridiculous." She scoffed. "When would I ever need to row a boat?"

Ben frowned at his cousin, though she didn't notice. Everyone began filing out of the room, with Thomas Andrews leading them to see the captain of the ship. As they were talking with Captain Smith, a young Junior Wireless Operator walked in and handed him a slip of paper.