Chapter 24- A Rat to the Rescue

**Not Edited**
____________________

The lifeboats continued to be filled most of which were half-filled. While Ben and his father waited for Bella to return, Mal's friends continued to try and get passed the gate that kept them below deck like animals. Back in the Master at Arms' office, Mal sat chained to the water pipe. Trying to think of a way to escape.

Kit sat on the edge of the desk, placing a bullet on it and watching it roll across and fall off. He caught it before it hit the ground.

"You know," He said, the first word spoken since they were left alone. "I do believe this ship will sink."

He walked to her and continued to talk. "I have been asked to give you a small token of our appreciation,"

In one quick move, he punched her in the gut, knocking the wind out of her. "Compliments of Adam DeWitt Bukater,"

He flipped the silver key to the handcuffs, catching it before placing it in his pocket. He left the room. Mal was left alone, gasping for air.
****************************

As more lifeboats began to fill, Ben and his father stood closest to Boat 6. Due to the Women and Children First policy, neither got to get on yet. Rockets lit up the sky, causing some fright.

Ben watched the farewells taking place right in front of her. Children begging for their fathers to get on the boats, husbands saying goodbye to his family.

"I wonder if the boats will be seated according to class?" He heard Adam say. "I hope they won't be too crowded. If Audrey and Chad aren't here, you'll just have to married to someone else-"

"Father, shut up!" Ben yelled at him. Adam was shocked, being the first time Ben raised his voice in such a manner.

"Don't you understand! The water is freezing and there aren't enough boats, not even by half. A fraction the people on this ship are going to die."

Adam simply scoffed. "Not the better half,"

Ben felt like a thunderbolt struck him. Mal was third class, so were Evie, Jay, Carlos, Doug, and Lonnie. Now, Audrey, Chad, and Jane are below deck, they will too likely die. Everyone he truly loved and cared for will most likely perish.

"You unimaginable bastard," He began to walk away from the lifeboat, not caring about his own life. Adam, shocked, caught up with his son, roughly grabbing his arm.

"Where are you going?" He asked demandingly. "To her? To be a rat to a beggar criminal?"

"I would rather be a rat with then than your son,"

"You would rather give up your future to be with her?" The rich man asked. "Come with me. I can make a proposal to get us reserved seats. Then when we reach New York, you can inherit the fortune. No marriage required until you're ready."

Ben broke away from his father's grasp, standing far back. His father held out his hand out, waiting to make the deal. His slowly held out his hand. Before they shook on it, the son licked his hand, like how Mal did to win the tickets.

Adam, in disgust, pulled his hand away and wiped the saliva off. That gave Ben enough time to run away back to his room to get Mal's possessions.
****************************

"After I regained my strength, I kept on fighting to break off the handcuffs. I broke out of them before, but that was when I wasn't bound to another item. This time, I had nothing."

Mal soon caught her breath, feeling the chill in the air. She tried to break the chains off with all her strength. She soon heard a gurgling sound, making her turn around to the door. Water began to pour in from under the door, quickly spreading across the floor.