Early Morning Chat

*Teagan*

The way it felt when his lips met mine was an entirely new sensation. I wasn't sure how to respond.

Should I kiss back?

Before I could make up my mind, Aleks pulls away and looks down whilst scratching the back of his neck.

"Sorry. I just- I don't know. That's it, I don't know why I did that," He takes in a breath and coughs, "goodnight."

His hand meets his forehead repeatedly as he walks away, leaving me speechless and sitting on the counter.

"What just happened?" I whisper to myself, trying to ignore the combined feelings of shock and happiness that were creating butterflies in my stomach.

Was that what your first kiss was supposed to be like?

Eventually I break out of whatever kind of fantasy world I was in and hop off the counter to go to bed.

The sound of Aleks softly snoring makes me stop in the middle of the living room. I softly pad over to the couch and come to a halt once I've reached it.

How was he already asleep? Had I been sitting in the kitchen long enough for him to fall asleep?

I lean my torso over the back of the couch and whisper,

"Don't be sorry, for a first kiss I'm assuming that wasn't too bad." Before turning down the hallway and hopping into his freshly made bed.

Although I was exhausted, I couldn't sleep. Thoughts of what the AKs could be planning and where they were at this exact moment or if they were right outside the apartment kept my eyes wide open.

As if those weren't enough, my mind then began thinking about how this 'gang war' would end.

Would I end up with a bullet put through me?

That alone made me shiver and hug a pillow close to me.

What about my eyes? How do I control the stare that frightens people nearly to death?

A stream of curses leaves my mouth when the bright numbers on the alarm clock shine in my eyes,

5 A.M

Looks like I'm not sleeping tonight.

"You're awake?"

Aleks' voice makes me slightly jump and grasp the pillow closer only to let go and sit up to reply.

"Couldn't sleep, why are you up so early?"

He tousles his hair before answering.

"I heard what you said last night. About that being your uhm, first kiss"

My face flushes so to try and cover up I pull the blanket over the lower half of my face.

"You weren't supposed to hear that," my voice is muffled by the blanket but he understands and takes a seat beside me on the bed.

"I couldn't fall asleep. So, what kept you up?"

I'm grateful for the change of subject but don't know why he's making small talk.

"I had too many things on my mind."

He nods and crosses his legs on the bed, "same."

We're both silent until I speak,

"Aleks?"

"Hm?" He looks over at me.

"Why did you kiss me?"