Chapter 57: New Family

Start from the beginning

"When? Where?" Edward asked, I had no idea what he was talking about and was beginning to get frustrated. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jasper tense up and wondered what emotion's he was picking up on to make him react that way.  

"What's going on?" Jacob growled, suddenly appearing beside me.  

"Sometime after the wedding" Eleazar answered, ignoring the growl's that were now coming from me as well as Jacob. "We think she wasn't too far from you at the time"  

"Edward!" I hissed "What is all of this?"  

"Henry" he exhaled.  

"What?" I exclaimed "What does Henry have to do with any of this?"  

"Bella" Edward sighed, turning to look at me "It seem's that after the wedding, Tanya didn't return home. She tried to create another family"  

"Another family?" I asked, repeating Edward's earlier question before replaying his sentence in my head, "Wait! You said tried?"  

"Yes" Garrett answered, "From what we have been told the one other vampire she created was destroyed at only a few day's old. Not far from where you live"  

"Henry" Alice sighed, seeming to understand what Edward had meant, I was still confused. I looked over to her expectantly, waiting for her to answer me.  

"The vampire that killed his parent's Bella" It was Esme that had answered me.  

"Oh" was all I managed. I was suddenly reminded of Victoria and her newborn army. Would Tanya be capable of that? Surely not.  

"How do you know all of this?" Carlisle asked.

Eleazar proceeded to tell us the story about an old friend of his called Herman who bumped into Tanya at the beginning of the year and she had filled him in on her story. She had told a story of how her family had abandoned her when she had needed them most and felt betrayed so was set on creating a new family for herself. I listened intently as Eleazar explained how her plan had been thwarted when she'd allowed her new sister to go out hunting alone for the first time and had never returned. Tanya had followed her trail and found the ashen remain's of her sister next to two lifeless bodies. A lump rose in my throat as I remembered the story that Alice and Rosalie had told. Of how, only a week or so after the wedding, whilst we were on our honeymoon, her and Rose had stumbled across a young vampire, who had been attacking a couple and a baby.  

Henry's parent's.  

The young vampire.  

Tanya.  

It was all connected, Was this some kind of pay back? Did Tanya recognise Rose and Alice's scent and blame us for destroying her new family? If you factor that into the equation then Tanya would be furious enough with us to seek revenge. I had the man she wanted, she blamed for us for loosing her family, and then Rosalie destroyed her new 'family'. Even to me that seemed like a good enough reason for Tanya to want revenge.  

Eleazar explained how Herman had paid them a visit soon after his meeting with Tanya to inform the Denali's of what he had seen. When Herman had seen her she was heading west through the Bienville Forest.  

The Denali's had attempted to find her, but by the time they had gotten there they couldn't find any trace of her.  

"I'm sorry" Carlisle sympathised when Eleazar had finished with his story.  

"You are not to blame Carlisle. But if you don't mind me asking, who is this Henry?"  

All eye's in our family now flickered toward's Emmett who -until now- had been stood silently toward's the back of our group. Emmett looked around at us, his silent plea's evident from the look in his eye. I felt Edward stiffen beside me and it was Jasper who broke the silence.  

"Alice?"  

I turned to look at her, her eye's were distant and she was wasn't responding.  

She was having another vision.  

In what I assumed was an attempt to divert the attention from her, Edward cleared his throat and looked at Eleazar,  

"Henry was a child that Rosalie and Alice rescued from a young vampire around the time you are talking about. They, of course, destroyed her"  

"Well where is this child now?" he asked, seeming to be confused.  

"They dropped him at the local children's home" he lied, staring intently at Carlisle "we have no idea what happened to him after that"  

"I see" Eleazar nodded, accepting Edward's lie so easily.  

What could Alice have possibly seen that would have caused Edward to lie about Henry that way? I looked back toward's her and she was now recovered from her vision and looking toward's Jasper. She looked hurt and confused.  

Not wanting to draw too much attention to the subject I lowered my shield,  

'Was that about Ness?' I asked silently, praying Edward would answer me. He looked to me and shook his head slightly,  

'You will explain' I thought, before snapping my shield back into place. It wasn't so much as a question- more of an order.

"So what do we do now?" Jasper asked, looking around at the gathering in the Denali's house.  

"I think we should leave" Carlisle answered, looking briefly toward's the Denali's "we have taken up enough of our friend's time"  

"OK, then I suggest..." Jasper continued, but he was cut off by Eleazar, Garrett and Carmen's protest's.  

"Carlisle, we will come with you" Carmen half smiled "You will need all the help you can get with Tanya"  

"That is very kind of you Carmen" Edward interjected, "But we simply can't ask that of you"  

"We insist" She replied, not leaving any room for argument.  

Edward looked over toward's Kate, who had remained remarkably quiet through this exchange.  

"Kate?"  

She replied with a silent, subtle nod.  

"This is very kind of you" Carlisle smiled, before turning to face Kate "Thank-you" something about the way he said it implied that this gratefulness was intended for Kate and Kate only. I wondered why this was, until I remembered that Kate, Tanya and Irina had made up the original Denali coven, along with their 'creator' Sasha who had been destroyed after creating an immortal child. Kate had now lost all of her original family, this had to be hard on her.  

"So what now?" Jacob intercepted, as if the involvement of more vampire's had suddenly spurred him on.  

"We split up" Jasper responded, "In pair's, or three's at the most. And we follow every possible lead we can find"  

"Let's go then" Jake growled.

Once Carlisle had split us all up into our group's we left Denali, all headed in different direction's.  

"Edward" I hissed, for the tenth time "Will you please tell me what Alice's vision was about?"  

Edward sighed and looked over at me, a grim look on his face.  

"Alice saw that if Emmett told them the truth, it would somehow" he ground his teeth on the last word, "lead to Rosalie's death"  

"What?" I spluttered, shock running through my body "How?"  

"We don't know" he sighed, clearly frustrated, "we can only guess it is through protecting Henry"

How could telling the Denali's the truth about Henry lead to her death? They were our friend's.  

Weren't they? There was a lot of question's that needed answering, but suddenly, somehow I was relieved that Rose hadn't come with us.