Chapter 24- The Stairway to Frenzy

Chapter 24

The Staircase to Heaven

I kind of just sat there…waiting…waiting for the torture of this kiss to end. It needed to end now.

One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi…

Finally Seth pulls back. He doesn’t even look me in the eye. Great. He’s feeling the awkwardness and tension as well. Again we end up sitting there. Not looking at each other and twirling our thumbs.

The white paint on my mother’s wall is a darker shade than the shade of white on the couch. The colourful throw pillows have at least three different shades of blue on them namely turquoise, electric blue and navy.

Thos were just some ‘interessting’ observations I made whilst I was stuck in the awkward post-kiss/mortem silence next to Seth.

“Well, I’ve got to go. I’m tutoring someone tomorrow in the morning.” He finally pipes up. He gets up rubbing his hands up and down the front of his jeans.

“Oh, that’s great. Yeah, you should go get some sleep.”

I am silently jumping up and down with joy. The awkwardness has finally ended (is this how it will feel when high-school ends?)

With that I practically bolt to unlock the door and speed walk up the stairs whilst ushering Seth up them. He needs to get out of the house. The general icky-ness I feel after that situation is murdering me.

We pass my mother who is still sitting on her orange armchair reading her newspaper; oblivious to the horror that just occurred in her treasured formal lounge. 

“Seth, honey, are you leaving so soon?” She looks at us quizzically over the bridge of her black cat-eye reading glasses.

“Yeah, he has tutoring.”

“Sorry, I have to tutor someone.”

We say it at the same time and it basically sounds like this over-eager jumble of words pouring towards my mother like a verbal avalanche.

“Okay?” She whispers rather skeptically.

“Thanks for having me over ma’am” He says politely.

“It was really only a pleasure. You weren’t even here for an hour. You are welcome any time you like. Also, it’s Veronica. Ma’am makes me sound like a drill sergeant.” She flashes him her best ‘motherly’ grin and softens her whole demeanor.

My mother sure knows how to lay it on thick and Seth is no better. These two could butter up anything. I’m pretty sure that between these two you could provide enough buttered bread to feed Europe.

I stand in the background and try to make like a chameleon and blend in. for a moment I convince myself that it just might work.