Chapter 20- Whipping their Sorry Butts

Disclaimer- you are about to enter a highly UNEDITED area. Be cautious

Chapter 20

Whipping Their Sorry Butts

"Wait, so your brother just signed you up to join the team because he thought you could beat half the guys?" Sandra asks me.

I have told her this six times. What about this is so hard to comprehend? Maybe it's just Monday morning memory loss.

"Yes Sandra. Did you expect the answer to magically change in the last minute?"

She rolls her eyes at me. I can't help it. I become sarcastic and snappy when I am nervous, under a lot of stress or angry That often leads to mean and demeaning comments leaving my mouth involuntary. To be fair, I always apologized the next day because I hate feeling guilty for hurting someone else's feelings when they didn't deserve it. If they deserved it...well that's a different story.

"What I don't get is why you agreed. I mean, he just forced it on you and playing soccer involves physical activity and exercise. Why would you put yourself through that torture?" Nataka asks me with genuine concern.

"Just because you're lazy and unfit that doesn't mean the rest of us enjoy being like that. Besides, some of us have to work to keep in shape. And he didn't force it on me. I went along with it because I have missed playing soccer since I gave up last year."

"It is still a form of torture."

"Oh shut up Nataka. All I asked is if you guys would support me. Now are you going to do it or not?"

My friends all look at each other quietly and instantly I feel guilty.

"Sorry. I am just really stressed and nervous. What if I fall on my ass?"

"You'll be fine. Don't worry. You play really well. Unfortunately Selena and I can't make if because we have a business studies project. Gemma has a home economics practical for extra credit and I know Nataka has to baby sit Michael. Sandra will definatley go- right Sandra?" Prissie says wrapping her arm around my shoulder.

"Of course I will. I wouldn't miss the chance to watch her fall flat on her ass." Sandra jokes.

I laugh but it is a strange laugh because of the tension in my nerves.

Today is going to be one interesting day and, as if it isn't bad enough already, I still have to deliver Jake's message to Sandra. I didn't have the guts to do it yesterday.

If this nervousness doesn't kill me today, then I will end probably up tripping on the soccer field and snapping my neck. If I do die on the soccer will Pete get the blame since he signed my up? I really hope so.

It is at the precise moment I notice a tall lanky kid walking past me. He is wearing a ski mask and green turtle neck.

I nearly shit myself. Not at my brother's extreme vanity but at the fact that he forgot gloves. So there are two very large, orange hands sticking out from that puke green sweater.

Hint: Puke green wool and orange skin do not look attractive.

/

/

/

The last bell of the day sounds and it is almost as if I am hearing a battle cry calling me to war.

I walk to the girls bathroom and change into an old kit of mine. The whole time my stomach feels like it is about to flip over and tie itself up into a not.  This is the first time that a girl has tried out for a boy's soccer team let alone the open soccer team. I can't help picturing myself slipping and sliding on the field, panting because I can't keep up or falling on my ass multiple times. What adds to my nervousness is that Logan, the d*ckhead from English, is trying out for the team as well. If I do something stupid around him I will never hear the end of it.