Episode 61: Seeds of Doubt

Start from the beginning

I clenched my teeth. She certainly didn't hold her words, did she? Though, she was right... I would only get in Roa's way... like I've always had.

"Don't worry about Roa," Rosa said, smiling slightly. Her voice was strangely calm, as if she had confidence that he would be okay. "Tetsu and Serra went to help him."

Why would they help him? Especially, Serrano. Sure, Roa and he are bound by blood but... Roa alongside Satoru and Reno killed his teammates. Man-kin while having kept his hands clean still played a part too. Without me around, would Serrano attempt to avenge his companions' deaths?

*Roa*

[Kuroki Mountains]

Naoru wiped away the saliva from his face and swung his weapon.

"Nope, not going to happen!" a voice called out. The owner of the voice stood between us and grabbed a hold of the sword with both hands.  A thousand tiny cuts appeared on the blocker's hands. He had somehow managed to spread out the energy, though for some reason it still cut him. At least none of them were more major than a paper cut.

I smiled as I stared at an athletically built teenage boy in front of me. "M-Man-Kin," I said.

He turned around and grinned. "Sorry for arriving late. Mai wanted to visit Dan's 'grave'."

"Man-Kin, I thought you promised not to tell anyone that," Mei yelled, rushing toward us. She stopped and glanced over at Mai who emerged from a stalk of six-foot grass.

Mai sighed. "I should've known not to have taken you along." She stepped forward and raised her hand at Naoru. A sphere of magenta energy formed in the palm of her hand. "Be gone!"

Naoru yanked his weapon free from Man-kin's grasp and jumped back into the air. "Tsk. More enemies have arrived. Slaughter them, Ela!"

The skeletal djinn moved toward Mai, but she fazed through her. "What?" she said.

"Mei, neutralize their powers."

Mei nodded and snapped her fingers.

The skeletal woman flinched as she began to slowly fade. "My powers... they're... fading."

"Hmph, so you're the one who broke into the palace with the help of that Kasai no Ki scum, Reno," Naoru said as he stepped back. "If I weren't too tired, I'll kill-"

"You talk too much," Mai said as she stood behind him, with a silver sword in hand. She yanked, it out, causing blood to spill over the ground. She gasped as the wound closed. "What? What are you?"

"No... Mei, didn't you stop all of his powers?" I asked as my body began to regenerate.

"I... I did. I mean, I should've," my pink haired cousin said as she stepped back.

Naoru pulled away from Mai and flew into the air. "You power, it has its limits. My weapon has two alternating abilities."

I smiled. "Thanks... for that... tidbit."

"Naoru!" a voice called out. I glanced up and saw Hyosetsu. The sword knight smiled as soon as he saw us. "Nicely done."

Naoru bowed his head. "Your praise honors me. Sadly, I was unable to kill them, Sir Hyosetsu."

Hyosetsu flew down and drew a plain looking sword. "Do not worry, that is why I am here. To insure their capture."

The black armored young man gasped. "Capture? You aren't going to kill them?"

The duke sighed. "I wouldn't mind, but capturing them also serves a purpose. Of course, this time we'll be certain to take precautionary measures to ensure that they won't escape. You can even be one of their guards."