Episode 8: Angel of Darkness

"Where am I? Where is Yuko?" I asked as I walked around the dark void

"Where am I? Where is Yuko?" I asked as I walked around the dark void. It was hard to make out what was around me, but it seemed as if there were waterfalls of darkness at the edges.

I came to a stop and chuckled as I recalled my words from a moment ago. 

"Did you do this Oh Great Divine One? You're quicker to smite than to help, aren't you?" I yelled as I glanced up at the everlasting darkness around me.

"The Kyuu Hyakuian girl is fine," a voice boomed back from the shadowy void.

"Who is there?"

I started to run toward the source of the voice, or at least I tried to. My movements felt the same as when I was in the Abyss, as if my body were submerged underwater... Had I been brought back into that chasm?

I continued walking in the direction I heard the voice come from... It was then that I saw a bright light. The further walked toward it, the more I became overwhelmed by the radiance, forcing me to close my eyes.

Finally, after walking in the darkness with my eyes closed, I came to a stop as I felt something in front of me. I opened my eyes slowly to see what it was I'd sensed. A gasp escaped my mouth as soon as I had opened them fully. Floating in front of me was a sphere of darkness chained by light.

"You've made it, Tetsuya Kuroriku," the voice echoed. The sphere changed into the form a pale purple-haired man with wings which blended into the darkness.

I raised my arm but my shield was gone. "Who are you? Are you a demon?" I called out.

The voice snickered in a manner that was similar to my own. 

"I was born an angel but in the end, I died a demon. You know my name well, young child. I am he who shaped the night and the shadows of this world. I am he who became corrupted by rage and fell from grace. You, meanwhile, are Tetsuya Kuroriku— a young man who barely sins but yet is treated as a sinner. You young man carry my rage and also my blood."

I couldn't help but bow down a little. "You're... Lord Hanketsu."

"Raise your head child," my ancestor spoke in an authoritative yet oddly calming voice. "Your friend will be saved."

I smiled slightly. "Really? Thank you."

"It's not me who saved her, nor was it Our Creator, but you child. You entered despair and raged against the heavens thinking your efforts were futile... well sometimes it takes time to see one's efforts bear fruit. Child, don't think ill of the Divine One... he has been asleep for ages, yet he left a part of himself behind to help those in need. One day both of the Divine Ones will awaken but that day I am afraid to say is still a long time away."

I rose up from whatever was below us. "He's asleep? So, our prayers really have fallen on deaf ears."

"Not exactly, but you might see that first hand one of these days. Also, I don't mean to sound cruel but everything in this world has a beginning and an end. Sometimes there is no stopping death's door. Trust me, I have lived seven lives."