Chapter 8: Burst Bubble.

Start from the beginning

Katie, who had tears in her eyes, said, "babe, 500 grand can change my life. That's half of a million fucking quids! I'm still shocked that you did that for me and Liam. I mean, not even my own family would do that. Yet I've only known you for about 4 years and we've grown closer as we matured. This money will change our lives," Katie added, looking at Liam who smiled at pecked her lips before turning to the laptop screen. "Talia, I'm really grateful for this. You are sure, right? I mean we didn't exactly get on when we met in Year 9!"

Talia laughed "Yes man, of course I'm bloody sure haha. I still can't forget that day, when Katie and I were standing at the bus stop in the pouring rain and you drove in the puddle, soaking us completely. What did you call him again, Katie?" Talia asked the red head, a mischievous smile playing on her lips.

Katie, who looked hesitant replied in a quiet voice, "a stupid bloody jerk faced bastard!" causing both Talia and Liam to burst out laughing. 

"At least I asked you out after that!" Liam smirked. 

"Talia," someone called from downstairs, causing the brunette to pause and look at the open door. "Hey guys, can you give me a couple of minutes? Someone's calling me downstairs." Without waiting for the reply, she dashed out of the door and went downstairs, causing the couple on the other end of the webcam to chuckle.

Alaric's POV:

I could hear laughter coming from upstairs, causing me to smile as I stood at the foot of the stairs. She sounded happy to be talking to her friends. I was contemplating letting her talk to her friends a little longer before calling her downstairs for coffee and to say bye to our guests. I felt arms wrap around my waist and knew instantly who it was, smelling in her perfume, I smiled as she hung on.

"Hey baby, is Talia still taking to her friends?" Jenna murmured, her chin resting on my shoulder.

"Yeah, she sounds so happy,"

"I think Elena and the others want to take her out tomorrow, you know, tour the town. But do you think its best if she settled down first?" Jenna kissed my neck.

As I was thinking, I was distracted constantly by Jenna nuzzling my neck. I swung her around, catching her by surprise and smiled down at her. "I suppose we can ask her if she's up to it. Poor kid's already overwhelmed," I whispered and I traced her lips with my eyes. I kissed and she winked at me, before walking into the kitchen to get drinks. I smiled at her retreating back, I've really struck gold with this one. I looked at the top of the stairs and heard Talia laugh again, I smiled and called, "Talia," the laughter stopped followed by some very faint talking and a few seconds later I heard foot steps.

"Yes, dad?" Talia asked. I was slowly getting used to being called dad but it felt weird all the same. 

I smiled at her and spoke, "Talia, the others are in the living room, do you want to say bye to them before continuing your Skype conversation with your friends?

She mulled for a few seconds. "Can I talk to my friends a little while longer before coming back downstairs? I know I said 20 minutes but it's just that I miss them."

I looked at her hopeful face and sighed, relenting and she grinned gratefully at me before bounding up the stairs. I watched her go and walked into the kitchen to help Jenna with the drinks before going into the living room.

Katie's POV:

Liam and I were waited patiently for Talia to come back. As she was gone, we used the opportunity to talk about how to tell Talia something without ruining her newfound happiness.

 "I don't see the point in upsetting her babe," I told Liam sadly. "I mean, you saw how happy she is!" 

Liam nodded at me before replying, "I know she's our best mate but we have to do right by her. She needs to know-" but he was interrupted.