Moving On

Kenna's POV

I could hear people behind me through the door as I walked away from it.

"Clear!" Someone yelled.

I was pulled back to the door. I tried to walk back through, but something was holding me back. I turned to the brick wall that was now cracked, making the voices louder.

"Clear!"

I was pulled closer to the wall and it cracked more, making part of it fall down.

"Clear!"

I was pulled through the wall, making the rest of it crumble down around me.

I started running and the beeping sound started again. I kept running until I hit a black wall.

My eyes open and sat straight up in my bed.

The nurses and doctor around me looked shocked to see me sitting up.

I looked around the room, trying to figure out where I was.

"McKenna you need to lay back down. We don't know if you're stable enough to be this active." One of the nurses said to me.

"Where's my family?" I asked, starting to panic as the heart monitor started beeping faster.

"Just calm down. We need to make sure you're okay first."

"I want to see my family." I started to pull at the wires that were connected to me.

"McKenna, please calm down!" The doctor said, pushing me to lay back down.

I continued to sit up. "I need to see Heath." I pulled off the heart monitor and the oxygen tubes. The doctor looked at one of the nurses and nodded. She walked out of the room. I looked at the doctor, still trying to stand up. "I want to go home."

"We can get you out of here soon Ms. Sire, you just need to relax so we can finish some tests." He said, trying to hold me down.

The nurse walked back in with Heath behind her. He had tears in his eyes as he rushed over to the bed. He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head on his chest. "Give her some space. She's scared." Heath said.

"It's not safe for her to be this active when she wasn't even alive less than 5 minutes ago." One of the nurses said.

"She's not going to stay calm without me here. Can I stay for whatever tests you need to do?"

"Whatever we need to keep her safe." The doctor said.

"That's against-" one of them started.

"In the safety and wellness of the patient we can make an exception."

Heath pulled away and sat next to me on the bed. "Kenna I know you're scared and you wanna go home, but just let them do their thing and we can be out of here in no time." I took a deep breath and nodded my head.

The doctor and nurses did a series of tests to make sure I was stable enough to be awake and that there was no chance of me flatlining again. They are sending a psychologist to me soon so they can discuss any mental damage done.

No one has filled me in on anything that happened with Elton or Mariah or even Todd. What if Todd died because of me?

The doctor finished up the last tests and left me and Heath alone in the room.

We were both sitting on the edge of the bed. Heath had his hand on mine and I rested my head on his shoulder. We sat there in an uneasy, yet comfortable silence until I decided to break it.

"Do we know what happened to Todd?" I asked, dreading what the answer could and probably would be.

His hand tightened on mine. "They lost him. He lost too much blood before they could get to him." He said.

I wiped a tear from my face. "God dammit. Why?"

"Kenna, theres nothing anyone could've done."

"But if it wasn't for me, he'd still be here. He'd still be alive."

"How do you think it's your fault?" I looked up at him. "Elton is the one that pulled the trigger. It was his fault that all of this shit happened."

"It should've been me."

"Don't say that. You have so many people in this world that care about you and that would be heartbroken and devastated if you died and he lived."

"And you think he doesn't?" He looked at me, not knowing what to say. "He did some messed up shit in the past. I, of all people, know that he did some messed up shit. But he still had a family that cared about him, friends that missed him, and people that would look forward to seeing him and they never get that again. And I feel like I can never tell them how truly sorry I am because I'm the reason he was out there in the first place. If I had just sucked it up and kept my mouth shut-"

"And let him get away with what he did and let him have the chance of possibly doing it to other girls? Yea, it sucks that he died. It's horrible, but it was unavoidable. He made the choice to save you. He repaid his debt to you and to all of us. He almost completely ruined your life and to repay you, he gave up his own to save you." I looked down at the floor. "It hurts to know that you can't do anything to help someone. It really does. And I know you want to blame someone for it, but don't blame yourself. That could've been anyone, it just happened to be him."

I started shaking my head. "Fuck Elton." He let out a little laugh. "Actually. Fuck Amanda. If she didn't think me and Elton were having a thing then you and me would not have broken up in the first place." I looked up at him. "I really wish we never broke up. None of this shit would've happened."

"You can't think about the what if's. Everything happens for a reason."

The door opened, letting Scott and my mom walk in.

"Oh my gosh. My baby!" My mom said as she rushed to the bed to hug me.

"Hi mom." I said softly.

I looked up at Scott who had tears forming in his eyes. "You look so fragile. I don't want to hurt you." He said with a small smile on his face.

I looked at Heath. "Can I get a hand?" I held my hand out and Heath took it. I pushed off of it to stand up. It was hard to stay up but I did my best to slowly start walking to Scott.

He took a step towards me, seeing that my legs could give out soon. He hugged me, trying to hold me up. "Goddammit Ken, why you gotta do shit to make me emotional." He made me crack a smile and look up at him. He had a few tears rolling down his cheeks.

"Scott, I'm okay. There's no need to be emotional." I laughed a little bit and he hugged me tighter.

"You're just, so much smaller than you were before. I don't like seeing you like this when I can't help you."

"You can help me though." I started laughing to myself. "Just buy me some chipotle."

Everyone in the room started laughing. "Only Kenna could mention chipotle during a brother sister moment." Heath said.

Honestly, I did not know how to end this chapter so enjoy.
-M