Sweet Freedom

We drove for a few more hours when Elton pulled up to a gas station. The sun was setting and we were in the middle of a desert. He parked the car and started to get out.

"Don't move." He said. He pulled out his credit card and shut the door. Locking it behind him. I tried to unlock the door but he fixed them so I couldn't. I looked at him pumping gas through the rear view mirror. The gun was in his pocket.

I looked around, trying to find anything to help me. I opened the glove box and started rummaging through it. I found a screw driver. I pulled it out and put it in my shorts liner. I looked in the back seat and found an oil rag under the seat. I quickly grabbed it, stuffing it in my bra. I looked around and saw a small window about 6 feet off the ground on the side of the building. I looked inside through the giant window to see a neon bathroom sign next to a door. Now to just get out of the car.

Elton finished pumping gas and opened his door.

"I have to pee." I said.

He sighed. He looked around and pulled the gun out of his pocket, putting it in the door then walked around to mine. He opened it, stopping me before I got out. "Don't even think about trying anything." He said sternly.

"Where am I gonna go?"

He moved so I could get out. I walked directly into the building with him behind me. I walked to the woman's bathroom and looked around. There was a window. The door closed and Elton was walking around the gas station already. I locked the door and pulled the trash can over to the window. I turned it over and stood on it. I pushed up on the window until it opened.

I smiled. I looked out the window to see his car still sitting there with no one around it. He was still inside. I slowly climbed out, jumping down and putting my back to the building. I crouched down and poked my head around the corner. A car was pulling up. They parked in front of a gas pump on the other side of the station. A man got out, starting to pump gas into the car and a woman and a little girl got out, walking inside. I looked in the window, Elton was walking around the store, frequently glancing over at the bathroom door. He turned away and I made a break for the car.

I pulled the screw driver out of my shorts and started slashing and putting holes in the tires. I hit all four then went back to the drivers side back door. I pulled the rag out of my bra and wrapped it around my hand.

Elton's POV
I was walking around the gas station, keeping an eye on the bathroom door so I knew when she walked out. A mother and daughter walked in, heading for the bathroom. I stopped looking for a moment and turned my back to them. They knocked on the door. They then walked to the counter.

"Excuse me do you have a key to the bathroom?" She asked.

I spun back around and walked a little closer. "Sorry. My girlfriend is in there." I said.

"Oh. It's okay it's just. Nobody responded when we knocked."

My heart dropped. "Shit." I mumbled.

"You wanna check on her?" The cashier asked and held up a key. I nodded and he tossed it to me.

I rushed over to the door and unlocked it. The bathroom was empty and the window was open with a trash can next to it.

She escaped.

I ran back to the front, dropping the key on the counter. "Sorry. She's been bored all day. She's messing with me." I ran outside to see her next to the car, trying to punch the back window in.

McKenna's POV

I had the rag wrapped around my hand. I started punching at the back window in hopes of breaking it to get the gun. I started punching and cracked it. I looked up to see Elton running out the front door.

I took off running straight into the desert.

Elton's POV

She ran as soon as she saw me. I ran to my door to get in and follow her, but she slashed all my tires. How the hell did she even do that?

I grabbed the gun and ran after her.

McKenna's POV

I ran. I ran as fast as I could. I didn't want to look back. It was dark now. I could just barely see in front of me. I saw a tiny spec of light towards the end of everything.

Please be a house or a building. Something. Anything.

I heard shots being fired behind me. I ran faster, not knowing it was even possible. The light started to get bigger.

I kept going. My legs were burning but I was so close to getting help.

"You can't run for long Kenna!" He yelled behind me.

I kept running until I hit a blacktop parking lot. The neon sign on the top of the building was burnt out but it read BAR. The lights were on inside and there was a sign that said open on the front. I ran in, causing everyone to look at me. I ran up to the bar.

"I need somewhere the hid. My ex is following me." I told the bartender, out of breath.

"You can hide back here if you'd like." She said and lifted the counter for me.

I rushed behind the bar and crouched down. "Thank you."

The door flew open and someone walked in. He was breathing heavily. He walked up to the bar. "A short girl with red hair walked in. Where'd she go?" He asked, sounding obviously pissed.

"She ran off with another man sweetie." The bartender responded.

"Oh bullshit. She just ran in here!"

"Look, I don't know who you're talking about and I do not tolerate that kind of language in my bar. So I suggest you get out before I call the sheriff."

"Cops don't scare me. Now where is my girlfriend?"

"Really? Your so called girlfriend wouldn't run away from you, would she?" She turned her foot and nudged me towards the other end of the bar. I slowly started crawling away. Elton still didn't say anything.

I kept crawling until the door opened again. Someone else just walked in. I stopped where I was, hoping it would be the cops. "Elton! You made it!" They yelled.

My blood turned cold.

What the hell is Mariah doing here?

"I see you know my cousin." The bartender said.

Shit. I'm screwed.

"Shelly is one of the only ones, other than me, to move west. Set herself up nicely, she owns this bar."

Should I run or take my chances?

"Yea. It's a nice bar. Probably have a lot of places to hide someone." Elton said. No one said anything for a second. "Kenna got away. She's tiny but god damn, she's fast. She ran in here and now Shelly won't tell me where she went."

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Mind if I take a look?" Mariah said and lifted the counter. She walked behind the bar and made eye contact with me. "There you are!"

I got up, trying to run into the kitchen. She grabbed my hair and pulled me back. I fell on the floor, hitting my head and passing out.