52: A Name is More Than Just a Word

"You okay, babe?" Toni asked, a few minutes into the drive home. The last thing they went to buy had been a present for Adi's little brother, the usual kind of gift-shop tat that she'd pick out for anyone whose hobbies and interests she didn't know well enough to go for a more suitable gift. Adi had barely said a word, and seemed to be lost staring into space.

"Yeah," she nodded slowly.

"Did I push you too hard?"

A long minute stretched out, as the familiar landmarks flashed by.

"No, it's not that," Adi finally shook her head. "It's just, you know the right things to say, and the right things to buy. You've solved problems before I even realise they're there. And I'm thinking, have I ever been like that for my friends?"

"We've all got different skills. You're more academic, you understand all the abstract theory stuff. I'm just good with practical things. Comes from organising the house when Dad's away. We're good at different things, so we help each other."

Adi nodded, but the thought was still there in her mind. A worry that she didn't know how to put into words. If she had to admit it, she didn't even know what was bothering her. Maybe she was starting to realise that all her intelligence just made her feel superior, it didn't make anything happen or help anyone at all. But then, if that was the question, what kind of answer would she be able to find?

"Thanks, To–" she started, and then stopped herself. "Thanks, babe."

"You know, you can say my real name if you want."

"Yeah, but when you started calling me 'babe', it kinda made me realise something. Like, I'm the only one who uses real names. Everybody else has nicknames, and I dunno. It just feels weird now. I called you 'babe' before, and it seemed so natural, like there's just a joke built into the name. I can't even explain, but..."

"But it reminds you of what you were thinking when you said it? Like it's a whole private joke in one word, and it reminds you about your bonds with someone else? I guess it's something you don't usually think about. But you're the genius girl, you think about everything. So you have to understand it rather than just do it. And that's fine too, just different ways of looking at things."

Another long pause, but this time the silence was comfortable like an old jacket.

"So that T-shirt," she eventually spoke again. "The one with 'babe' on?"

"Yeah? Is that too much?"

"Maybe. I don't think I'd wear it. But when you picked it, is it 'babe' because I've been acting like a baby? Or is it because that's what you called me?"

"Can it be a bit of both?"

"Well, I..." Adi hesitated again. She hated the idea of anyone anyone thinking of her as a baby. Especially Toni, one of her closest friends. But she knew there was no malice there, and she knew that Toni wouldn't be looking down on her even if she had started acting like a baby. She was the kind of friend who'd support Adi no matter what she did, and it seemed that was what 'babe' really meant to her.

"Thanks, Babe," Adi repeated again. "I think that suits you more than me, y'know?"

"I'm not going to argue with you there, babe. Thanks."

Author's Note: A short chapter today, and feels a little weak. I've not been feeling so well, but think there's some more action lined up for tomorrow. Should be back on form soon, I hope. Haven't been well this month; now feeling better but a couple of weeks without proper sleep is something I'll need some time to catch up on.