LXIX

Every rose has its thorn
Just like every night has its dawn
Just like every cowboy sings his sad, sad song
~ Poison, Every Rose Has its Thorns

"For fuck sakes." My head snaps up to see Erik looking rather pissed off.

"What?" I question as I take a sip from my coffee as I work on an email for the Warped Tour.

In less than five months the band will be joining The Vans Warped Tour for the final run and to say the boys are stressed is an understatement. Wanting to release a new album before touring, along with practicing their lineup so they are perfect, means long days for everyone.

"Valentine's day is tomorrow."

I raise an eyebrow at him, "and that's got you cussing? It's a dumb holiday anyways if you can even call it a holiday."

"It's our first one." Erik points out like that should make a huge difference.

"So, it's a money grab."

"So you don't want anything or to do anything?" Erik asks with a puzzled look on his face. He's cute when he's confused which doesn't happen very often.

"Nope, I'm good. If anything we should just order pizza in and relax, you and the rest of the guys are killing yourselves with the album, music video and upcoming tour." I grab his hand as he looks down at the iPad he's working on, "you deserve to relax which you haven't done since your birthday at the end of January."

"That's only a couple of weeks."

"You look like shit."

"Wow geez, thanks Ray, real confidence boost on that one." I laugh at Erik as he gives me an eye roll, "but if you just want to stay in that works for me."

"I can buy some facemasks tomorrow while you are at the studio."

"Get some bath bombs too, those are always fun."

I shake my head at him, how could I get so lucky?

"What are you thinking about?" Erik asks as I smile at him; I must look like a mad person.

I am mad about him.

"Just how lucky I am to have you in my life."

"I wouldn't go that far Ray, but thank you." He pushes the iPad away and grabs my hand, "thank you for thinking you are lucky with me."

"Don't be going soft on me Freddie."

"Freddie?" Erik questions looking at me.

"You remind me a lot of Freddie Mercury and the way you command attention on stage as he did, I don't know." I blush dropping my head, maybe the nickname was stupid.

I was never good at coming up with nicknames.

"I like it." Erik smiles at me, "the fact that I remind you of one of the greatest frontmen in the history of rock music, not to mention a band that is so well known, is the best feeling ever."

"Even better than being my boyfriend?"

"One hundred percent." Erik laughs before blowing me a kiss.

"Let's go get a coffee." I choose to ignore him and get up from the table to stretch.

"I only have my motorcycle unless you want to walk or call an Uber." Erik follows suit and throws on his jacket while I grab my purse.

"The motorcycle is fine, it's nice out." I peer out of my living room, checking the weather, looking to see if there are any signs of impending rain, "I refuse; the first time I ride on a motorcycle is not going to be in the rain."

"Why? It's a lot of fun doing so." Erik shrugs as he grabs the door, "so losing your virginity today huh?"

"I guess so." I laugh. I had started to become used to Erik's jokes and have been replying to them rather than looking at him in shock. The odd time I will make a comment and Erik will be the one looking at me in shock.

"Lucky me, I'll make sure to be gentle."

"You're anything but gentle." Which is a lie, he can be gentle at times when he wants to be or I ask him to be, the other times are a totally different experience.

Both are amazing.

Looking at the bike sitting in the parking lot of my building is a lot more intimidating than it was when it was in the garage.

"You good? We can always walk or catch a ride." Erik looks hesitant as he hands me the helmet he bought after his birthday when he caught me staring at his bike.

"No, I want to do this. I've always wanted to ride on one." I run my fingers over the bars before looking up at Erik, "can't be a little bitch forever."

I take the helmet from him and strap it on before following Erik's instructions, "feet up and hold on tight. Lean when I tell you and for the love of God Avril let me know if it becomes too much."

"Just shut up and drive!" I yell over the sound of the engine starting and do as I'm told.

In the beginning, I am clinging to Erik as he speeds up and slows down with the flow of traffic, but the more I sit on the machine, the more comfortable I become.

I am almost sad when we pull up to a tiny cafe Erik had found on google. He wants to take me a new place that isn't a big chain every time we go out for coffee.

"Ice coffee or just regular?" Erik asks once we are stopped and our feet are securely on the ground, "what?"

"That was the coolest thing ever." I grin at him as I sit there smiling at him.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. Wasn't as bad as everyone makes it sound."

"Hell no, can we go for a drive after we get some coffee?" By the smile on Erik's face, I know I don't need to pull out the puppy dog eyes; he looks more than thrilled to drive through the city.

"Sure."

We finish our coffees over light conversation about Erik's family and how excited he is to see his family in the fall and how if I come we can visit my brother in Ireland together.

Things with Erik seem to move fast, but it feels right, like being on the motorcycle.

It is exhilarating, being with Erik, and I love every second of it.

I am so used to being cautious and thinking about the consequences, taking my time and overthinking everything under the blue moon, but with Erik, I don't.

I feel like I'm free with him.

I feel the love with him for the real me and not the person I try to be.

"Ready?" Erik asks as he offers me his hand, "I want to take a drive out to the point I took you to that one time."

"Whatever you want to do, I'm down."

As we drive out of the city I tilt my head back and let the winds of freedom fill my lungs as I keep my grip around Erik's abdomen, feeling every grove of his muscles through his thin cotton shirt. I can feel him laugh as I press my body against his back, picking up speed as I yell in delight and my curls start to blow back under my helmet.

This is what living feels like.

Edited by GirlReader133