L

I'm never ever going to change
This's who I am
Going to feel my own pain
Haven't been here in years
~ Palaye Royal, Get Higher

Avril's POV

I roll my shoulders as I try to work the knot out of my shoulders.

Maybe being hunched over the table all night wasn't the best idea, but after signing those papers yesterday I had this amazing urge to write.

Yesterday was chaotic.

After Will and I had finished with entertaining the idea of being together one last time we had worked all night to get everything out and into a moving truck which I would be paying to be driven home.

It had finally sunken in when we were signing the papers away to the house that my home would officially be LA.

"Why am I doing your English homework?" I question as I look at the cover of the novel in hand; The Great Gatsby.

"Because I don't like English and you're good at it, please? I need a good mark or I can kiss Hawaii away." Kai sits down beside me on her bed, giving me a puppy dog look.

"You're still on that?" I sigh, knowing how stubborn my uncle is; he will never allow her to go to Hawaii and live with her uncle but knowing how stubborn Kai is I know she'll fight till her last breath.

"Yes!"

"What about Mason?" I question.

Mason has been Kai's best friend for 14 years and her boyfriend for the last two.

Not to mention he's the first guy that has been able to handle her sass and somewhat violent attitude, but then again they both have a fiery attitude that seems to work well.

"He'll get it, I think. He knows this is something I want and has been for the last 10 years." Kai looks frustrated with my question as she runs her fingers through her bleached curls. "I don't want to pretend to be something I'm not, you should understand Avril."

I sigh, knowing all too well that my little cousin is right.

How can she have figured out how to stand up to her parents at seventeen when it took me till I was twenty-four to do that.

Even then I'm barely standing up for myself.

"Just think about it Kai, he's important to you." It's true, he was there through every step of her parents almost separating, the aftermaths of fights with her dad and all the good in between.

"I'm not going to give up my dreams for a boy." Kai turns her back on me, ending our conversation as I listen to her clicking away at her Mac.

I look down at my phone, hoping for a text from Erik even though that is stupid of me. I know very well there won't be.

I only work for him and hopefully, I can do it without having to interact with them.

That would be ideal.

"When do you leave?" Kai asks, pulling me from my thoughts of Erik and how the next few months will be.

Maybe I'll forget about him.

"Tomorrow morning, I have to get back to LA." Kai nods her head over her shoulder at me, "guess you better convince my dad tonight then."

My aunt was only somewhat able to convince my uncle, like my mother he's always been controlling of his child's life.

Like brother, like sister.

"I thought your mom did?"

"Sort of, he wants to make sure that we are actually visiting Marcus and not jetting off somewhere else. He doesn't trust us from two years ago." We both laugh at the memory of the spontaneous trip we took to San Francisco in the middle of her school year.