XXXIX

Last night I came around to the truth whispered in my ear
In the light of day this sleight of hand romance is cold and crystal clear
So I waited long enough to show you that I could change the way I know you
~ Silverstein, Lost Positives

Erik's POV

I thought I would be the one to hurt her, not the other way around, but here we are.

I watch from across the room as she laughs and smiles with Kyle.

Her brown curls bounce on her shoulders each time she moves her head.

Never did I think I would allow another person into my life.

The dim lights overhead cast shadows over her features, making them more prominent.

She must have bought a new lipstick shade when we stopped at the drugstore earlier in the day, I think I would remember that colour on her skin. The deep maroon stands out against her sun kissed skin and compliments her green eyes well.

I try to take my mind off her while I pluck the strings of my guitar, but even then my mind wanders to the song I promised I would help her write.

A song that I don't think will ever happen.

Why can't I get my mind off of her? She's just another groupie.

But, she really isn't and I know that.

In the short time that we've known each other she's changed my opinion on commitment.

She was a girl that I could actually see myself committing too, but that all changed the night Scarlett almost broke the band up and my Ray was in on it.

My phone buzzes on the table beside me indicating I've gotten a text message.

Ava's name flashes on the screen with her message underneath;

Are you free after the show?

My eyes wander over to Avril again and the smile on her face, the way a slight dimple forms or the way her eyes sparkle whenever she laughs, the same laugh that makes my heart sore.

"Don't think about it." I look up to see Devon staring down at my phone, "you and I both know that's a terrible idea."

"Whenever have I been known to make good decisions?" I challenge.

"She was trying to be a good friend, you know how manipulative your cousin can be. She did it all her life with your aunt. Don't push the one girl who's made you smile away." Devon wasn't there the night shit went down, instead he had been at home with his family handing out candy. "Avril was probably scared to tell you."

I don't answer my best friend as I find myself staring at her again, "maybe you're right."

"I know you have problems with trusting people, especially with what happened with your mom, but Avril has been trying to wiggle her way through those bars that hold your heart. Don't forget that you had a full night's sleep with her in your arms." Devon squeezes my shoulder before walking away.

I sigh, thinking about what he said, maybe he is right and that I need to think about all that she has done for me.

I grab my phone and look through my contacts, looking for her name.

"Tobias?" I can feel myself relax at the sound of my aunt's voice; she's always had a soothing effect on me.

"I need to talk to you." I haven't called my aunt in a while and I know Scarlett hasn't called her mom since we left for tour in mid September.