LXVI

never go in search of love,
go search in life,
and life will find you the love you seek
~ atticus

It's odd how life works, as one relationship ends, a new one begins. Hoping that this is it, there won't be anyone besides the person in front of them, the same person they know has the power to destroy them.

We were all together when Caroline had stopped by. Piled in the living room playing a tournament of Super Smash Bros on the old Wii the boys had kept. The room was full of hollering and cheers as we battled it out against each other.

Isla had just gotten up to play against Lucas when the doorbell had rung, silencing the whole room.

It was late and none of us were expecting someone to show especially so late at night.

Lucas had been the one to answer the door, he didn't even need to tell us who it was, all our eyes had watched Devon follow him.

It was like he suspected Caroline to show up and in a way, I think we all did.

She stood there dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt with a crisp white envelope clasped in one hand.

Devon took the envelope and shoved into the pocket of his hoodie and with that Caroline left.

None of us had to ask what was in the envelope or what was going on; he had moved back into his old room, the same one I had been using up until I got my own place.

We all knew that was the end of Carolie and Devon, but none of us knew what it meant for their infant son.

"I don't understand why I am here," I comment as Devon pulls me behind him towards an empty room.

"Because I need your help."

"Pardon?" I question as he shuts the door behind us, "what could you possibly need help with?"

"Does this look okay?" Devon holds up a picture frame with family spelled out on the bottom and a monkey in the one corner, the picture however in the middle was the three of them: Caroline, Devon and Aaron.

The day Aaron was born.

"What's it for?" I question as I take the frame from him.

"Caroline, her birthday is tomorrow." I raise an eyebrow at him, it had been a week since Caroline had shown up to drop off her engagement ring.

"I know it's none of my business but why are you giving her a gift? Aren't you two done?"

"We are still friends and are co-parenting even though we aren't together. I want Aaron to grow up and see just because something has ended doesn't mean that it needs to end on bad terms. Both Caroline and I feel like this is what our relationship needs, we were never meant to be together, only to be friends." Devon shifts his weight from foot to foot as he waits for me to answer.

"Well, I think that is very mature of you two and that she will love the gift, but shouldn't you be helping the guys in the studio?" I question as I lean against the wall.

"Yeah, but I needed your opinion, none of the guys are great with that kind of shit except Lucas." Devon shrugs.

This was the first time Devon and I have been on our own or even had an actual conversation, it was odd.

I've been with the band since the end of September and now it is January and this was the first time we were talking.

"I am happy I can help." I give Devon a hug, I'm not sure what came over me, but it felt right. "I think Caroline will love it."

"Thank you and thank you for everything you are doing for Erik. I have never seen him like this, he actually looks like a person and not someone just existing. We are all so lucky to have you in our lives." Devon says as he returns my hug, "want to watch the rest of the recording since you are already here?"

"Sure, otherwise I would be heading home to work on stuff for you guys or my book."

"Erik was telling us about your book and how proud he is of you for taking that risk. If you ever need someone to run ideas by, I'm your man. It's usually Erik and me who write the songs, Lucas and Kyle are pretty useless and Scar never wanted to help." Devon opens the door to the studio where the three other boys are spread across the couches all on their phone while some guy sits at the recording station, playing with different controls. "Break still on?"

"Yeah," Lucas says as he makes swiping motions with his fingers. Probably on Tinder because he's with the guys, but wishing he was on Grinder.

I hope someday he will be comfortable enough to tell his band, I know he's worried he will get the same response as he did from his parents.

"Who are you texting?" I ask Erik as I take a seat beside him, curious, not jealous.

Erik pulls me onto his lap and wraps both arms around me as he leans his chin my shoulder while continuing to text away. "A cousin from England he wants some advice for his band, they had to choose between two record labels and they are unsure of who to choose."

"You have cousins in England?" I ask. I knew his dad was from there, but he never talks about them.

"Yeah, I found out about my dad's side when I was 19. We've kept in touch even with the seven-year age gap, I saw them graduate three years ago."

"Wow, that is amazing. I am happy you are still keeping in contact with them, what about your dad?"

"No, I didn't want to meet him. I've met my cousins' dad and their aunt who is my dad's brother and sister. I just don't know what I would say to him, I had a hard time meeting that side of my family with the way my childhood turned out." Erik takes a deep breath and turns his phone off, "when I talked to my aunt and uncle they had no idea I was still in the country, they thought my mother had taken me back to America. They tried to get in contact but they had no information."

"Well, at least they tried and now are trying to make things better." I smile at him as he nuzzles his head against me.

"They want me to visit before Warped, would you come with me? I want to show you where I was raised." Erik mumbles into my shoulder.

"I would like that." I kiss the side of his cheek.

"Alright love birds, back to the grind." Someone hollers, but Erik doesn't make a move instead he holds me and hums in my ear.

"C'mon Erik, you need to get back to work," I mumble to him.

"Fine, will you come over tonight Ray?"

"Yes, and I will be here the whole time you are recording."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

Edited by GirlReader133