14. I Fall to Pieces

Start from the beginning

I could only smile at her in return. As much as my chest still hurt, her words gave me a little reprieve.

"Well," I shrugged. "It doesn't make sense why I feel this way in the first place. I clearly rejected him, so I don't have the right to feel sad or hurt if he wants to kiss someone else."

Shoshana nodded.

"But why'd he chase after me though?" I asked. "He can do whatever he wants, and I'm pretty sure he know that."

"I guess he couldn't bear seeing you hurt," she replied, clasping her hands. "He does care a lot about you after all. And maybe when he saw the look on your face he just felt really bad about it."

I only shrugged. The two of us had a nice walk in the garden before heading back inside. The house was even more crowded now as the evening progressed, and the noise got even louder. I could hear people cheering each other on as they drank beer after beer. Well I guess it's a good thing school was out for tomorrow. I suppose half of them wouldn't turn up if it weren't, judging from how much beer everyone's drinking.

"Hey, where did you go?" Cyril asked when he saw the both of us walk back into the living room. "I didn't see you around."

"Oh," Shoshana replied, ever so sweetly. "We just went out for some fresh air. Gets a bit suffocating in here, you know?"

"I didn't know if you'd like something like this," he said to me as he fidgeted with his fingers. "But I didn't want to leave you out."

"I don't mind at all," I told him.

There was a short silence between us as the three of us just stood there in the hallway.

"Where's Emily?" I asked.

"Last time I saw her she was getting drinks for Aaron," he replied. "I hope she's not driving or anything."

"I didn't see her drink, so she should be fine," I assured him. "And she's pretty responsible so."

It was then when Cyril and Shoshana shared a glance, and the young woman nodded. Gently placing her dainty hand on my left shoulder, she left me a sweet smile as she disappeared into the living room.

"I'd thought I invited you here for a date but then I forgot the most important thing," he mumbled, scratching the back of his head.

"And what is that?" I asked.

"Spending time with you," he replied, a bashful smile on his lips.

I only giggled in return.

"Well at least someone remembered," I said.

The young man's cheeks flushed a rosy pink.

"You know, if you don't like it we could always go somewhere else," he told me. "The party seems to bore you."

"It's okay," I replied.

"Well you don't seem to be enjoying yourself very much," he said.

"No," I denied, shaking my head. "I'm just tired that's all."

"Well if you say so," he shrugged. "Do you want to go some place quieter?"

"I'd like that," I said, forcing myself to smile.

I couldn't let him know that I've been crying. Especially since I've been crying Isaac.

Talking about Isaac, I haven't seen him ever since I returned. Maybe he was drinking, maybe he was kissing some other girl. That was none of my business. He could do as he pleased.

I guess spending time with Cyril could help me forget about earlier. The tears have dried but my chest still hurt.

Cyril looked over his shoulder before leading me upstairs. There was no one upstairs, and I found myself in the master bedroom.