44|The man he was

Weeks had passed, drawing nearer to Sally's much anticipated wedding

     Weeks had passed, drawing nearer to Sally's much anticipated wedding. The wedding planning was getting more hectic and Gina was Sally's right hand in all of it.

     "Yeah meet me at that coffee shop in town. The one where they wear those cute little uniforms," she explained to Gina over the phone. 

    "Yeah sure."

     "I'll be there in the next twenty minutes," she said before disconnecting the call.

Gina sighed and went to the back where April was with Martha. April was in a bathing suit and sitting on the edge of the pool while Martha sat on a chair, reading a book.
    April beamed a smile, seeing Gina's approach. Gina extended a brief greeting to Martha before she turned her focus to April.

     "How's the pool?" she asked, stooping to meet April's height.

     She made a face. "It's fine, I guess. Wanna join me?" she asked in an increased tone.

     "I'm afraid I can't right now. I'm headed in town to help Sally with some things but what do we say we do something fun when I get back?" she said, causing April to nod.

    "Dad bought some new games. We can try them when you get back," she suggested watching Gina's smile.

    "Sounds like a plan. I'll be back before you know it," she said, caressing April's cheeks before she got up and left.

She arrived at the posh coffee shop fifteen minutes later, happy that she had not encountered much traffic. She expected Sally to be there anytime soon but while she waited, she ordered an espresso and sat at the far corner in order to deviate from the unwanted attention.
     Minutes past and when Gina saw that there was no sign of Sally, she pulled out her phone to give her a ring.

    "Hey, where are you?" Gina asked a bit frustratingly.

     "Stuck in traffic, can you believe it," she scoffed. "Ill be there in the ten minutes," she reassured before hanging up.

Rolling her eyes, Gina continued to sip on her coffee, checking her phone occasionally for some sort of entertainment.

      "Gina Gray?" a voice said from behind. Gina knew she had heard it before even without having to turn. When she did she was surprised to see Alexia Lawson standing behind her with a surprised look on her face.

    "Yes, hi," Gina greeted, standing while she took note of the woman's formal attire. A grey sleek pantsuit with a pink under blouse, minimal makeup that enhanced her already beautiful features.

     "Do you have a minute?" she asked, adjusting her shoulder bag.

Though curious as to why she needed a sit down, Gina nodded, "yeah sure. You can have a seat," she said watching as the woman meekly smiled and took a seat.