41|Unexpected

Knox was in the kitchen drinking coffee and reading the paper when Gina came downstairs, dressed for a morning out with Sally who was to meet with caterers and also do some cake tasting

        "Good morning," Knox said as he caught glimpse of her.

Gina rounded the corner and began pouring herself some coffee. "'Morning."

Knox pulled in a breath and placed the newspaper to the counter, now ininterested. "How was dinner lastnight?" he asked.

      "It was better than I expected. Where's April?" Gina asked after realising there was no sign of her.

     "She's still asleep. We had a late night," he explained.

Gina rose a brow. "Really? What did you guys do?"

    "We watched a few movies and then she told me she didn't want Lisa to come here," he said, watching as shock took residence on Gina's face.

      "She did?"

       "Yeah, I guess she's just tired of being disappointed by her."

Gina understood that much. "What if she comes anyway? What will you say to her when you finally get a hold of her?"

     "I'll tell her as it is. April doesn't want her to come and neither do I," he said, meeting her gaze. "Look Gina, I wasn't looking forward to Lisa being here and the only reason I would've allowed it is because she's April's mother. I just want to make you both happy and I realise that because of our situation, it may be hard to do at times, but I'm trying."

Gina nodded, pressing her lips together. "I know and there's something I've got to tell you."

Knox eyed her skeptically. "Yeah?"

As soon as Gina's mouth opened to tell a secret that she had kept for days, Knox's phone rang. Shifting his gaze to device and realising the caller ID was unknown, he glanced up at Gina.

    "Hold that thought?"

Gina nodded and watched as Knox answered the call. His expression hardened after his 'hello.' Gina's grew curious.

      "It's Lisa," he mouthed to Gina whose brows shot up immediately.

     "Hold on," Knox said, taking the phone from his ear to put on speaker. Gina, appreciative of the inclusion, smiled faintly, her gaze leaving Knox to go to the phone.

     "I've been trying to call you for days," Knox continued, Gina listening eagerly to hear a voice.

     "I've been crazy busy, Knox," her voice came, sounding soft and if Gina wasn't mistaken, a little cheerful? "I heard you were in the states. I didn't realise it was permanent but I put two's and two's together. How's marriage treating you this time around?" she exclaimed.