42|Scared

Gina was driving while Knox was in the back with April who was surprisingly calmer than expected

     Gina was driving while Knox was in the back with April who was surprisingly calmer than expected. The horror in Knox's eyes was evident but Gina could see where he was playing it cool for April's sake.

"Dad, I'm fine and this blanket is really making me hot," she protested, pulling at the hem of the blanket Knox had wrapped around him.

"The blanket is good," he said, readjusting the area April had pulled away.

April looked fine in Gina's opinion but knew from where his concern stemmed. April had a high fever and looked pale even though she had a strong mouth, but regardless, it was enough for Knox to prompt a hospital visit.

"Can you go a bit faster, Gina...please," he said and Gina met his gaze in the rearview.

"I'm doing the best I can but I can't overtake in this region," she explained, glancing up at Knox before her gaze returned to the road.

He sighed. "I know, I'm sorry." wiping the sweat from his forehead, he returned his gaze to April who was staring out the window.

"Everything ok, sweetie?" he queried, April silently nodded.

The rest of the ride to the hospital was silent and so was Knox's thoughts as he sat there hoping everything would eventually be fine. His thoughts were in turmoil, he was angsty and he was dying for a professional to tell him what was wrong. He needed to know she was ok and the fact that he didn't know was driving him nuts.

Several minutes later they arrived at the hospital, Knox taking April from the back and wrapping her into his arms while Gina followed behind, noting how withdrawn April seemed to suddenly become.
Knox was urgently moving to the first nurse he saw.

"Hi, I need some help. My little girl has a fever and-"

"Sir, the paediatric ward is on the second floor," she answered very dismissively as she hurriedly moved to wherever she was going before Knox's interruption.

Knox gawked at Gina in disbelief but rather than expressing his obvious distaste, he followed her instruction and moved along to the second floor.
Knox's world began to spin when the first person he saw was a child moving across the room, assisted by a nurse who was helping him to walk. Judging by his paleness and lack of hair, Knox was able to tell he suffered from cancer. His heart doubled over when he was reminded that not long ago April was in a similar position.

He blindly moved to the front desk.

"I- help me please. My daughter has a really high fever and she..."

A doctor immediately came up to him. "This way please," he offered, gesturing towards an empty screen.

Knox was grateful and immediately went with April in the vacant area.

"She had um... Leukemia and now- now she just suddenly developed a high fever," he explained, his words nervously falling over eachother.

The doctor was busy doing whatever he was meant to do, nodding while Knox spoke and also attending to April. Gina stood at the entrance with her arms crossed, biting at her nails.