39|Questions and contemplations

Knox muttered a curse after his fifth attempt at trying to contact Lisa

     Knox muttered a curse after his fifth attempt at trying to contact Lisa. He had been trying to get a hold of her ever since April had told him earlier about Lisa's plan to visit. He wanted to know just what prompted such a bizarre idea of hers. April had said, Lisa said she was better but Knox knew Lisa's better only lasted for a month or less.
       He didn't want her coming around and shaking things up for April- giving her false hope and the perception of a mother that Knox knew Lisa could never really be.

Slamming his phone against the kitchen counter, Knox raked a hand through his hair in frustration.

       "Everything ok?" Gina came into the room asking, her forehead wrinkling with concern.

Knox quickly cleared his throat and managed a smile. "Yeah, just something I've gotta take care of," he said, not wanting to tell Gina about Lisa until he got a handle on things. Things were already tense as it was.

She nodded comprehensively and went to pour herself a cup of coffee, glancing at a stiff- shouldered Knox. "Listen Knox, I'm sorry about what I said last night. I didn't mean...I didn't mean to-"

     "Gina, it's fine," he quickly cut in with a reassuring smile, but seeing that Gina didn't look convinced, he preceded to kiss her lightly on the lips. "Everything's fine."

She smiled. "Ok good."

     "Hey, I'm going to head to the office for awhile. Can you keep an eye on April for me?" he asked, watching as Gina's mouth opened to form a reply. "I mean she has her nanny and-"

     "Knox, it isn't a problem," she smiled, patting him on the arm before she left the room.

Knox sighed.

      An hour later Gina and April was in the living room, watching The incredibles with a bowl of popcorn at their disposal. Although Gina had quickly agreed to basically babysit when Knox had suggested it, she had been skeptical and anxious about the whole thing. But after he left, getting along with April seemed effortless and to make matters easier, they discovered they both liked their popcorn extra buttery.

    April laughed at some shenanigans that was happening on the tv screen. "I love Jack Jack. He's so adorable," she exclaimed, eyes trained on the television while munching on her popcorn.

Gina nodded in agreement, seemingly captivated by the program which was surprising because when April had made the suggestion, she never thought she would be actually enjoying a cartoon.

       "He is, but my favorite is dash."

     "I like elastigirl; she's a great mom," April commented, Gina glanced at her noticing the way her entire demeanor changed.

     She reached for her small back. "Would you like to talk about it?" she queried, sensing where the comment stemmed from and why it made April sad.