3| Caught in the act

Gina stood at the elevator door with arms crossed, waiting for her mother to make an appearance

   Gina stood at the elevator door with arms crossed, waiting for her mother to make an appearance. She thought about her reason to visit, but knew she was probably there to beg on her father's behalf.
     Gianna Grey was always that type of woman who defended her husband even when he was wrong and Gina could already see that this was another of those times.

The elevator doors opened up to the blonde hair middle aged woman, whom regardless of the subtle wrinkles on her face was beautiful. She wore a knee length designer dress in burgundy, her favorite color complemented by stilettos.

     "Mom, you look lovely," she greeted softly, watching her mother's lovely smile as she approached her.

    "Thank you sweetheart," she kissed her on both cheeks before she sighed.

     "What brings you here on this lovely Sunday?" Gina offered flatly.

      "I came to talk to you of course."

Gina knew that much. "I'm figuring you already know about dad's plan to marry me off," she scoffed as she moved to pour herself some vodka.

    "Yes, I have known for quite a while now. A month ago Knox informed us that he'd be back – he already knew of our failing company, everyone knew. So he came up with a proposition which you now know of. At first your father was furious Gina but he had no choice."

Gina emptied the contents in the cup and winced, deciding that the raw vodka simply could not cut it.

     "He had a choice mom, he just decided not to choose my freedom," she hissed bitterly.

     "Freedom?" Gianna scoffed. "You have gotten that all your life. We never protested when we watched you go off to countless parties, fraternize with multiple men and drink yourself unconscious. You were always free to do what you wanted and your father provided you with the resources you needed so don't you dare talk about freedom when its all you've known."

Gina watched as her mother spoke words she was guilty of, voice low even though her words demanded a high pitch.

     "I'm not marrying Knox Warner and that's final,' she said, pouring cranberry into a glass before she traced it with vodka.

   Gianna's jaw slightly flexed. "Your father will lose the one thing he's known all his life. His grandparents trusted him to carry it on and he simply would be failing them if he stood back and watch it crumble."

   "Dad's a billionaire mom – you guys are billionaires. Surely he can keep the business steady with other earnings or even his savings. It's almost as if he wants me to marry the son of a bitch."

Gianna sighed. "That's not the case sweetheart, but Knox has ideas, he is innovative and he willing to do this by himself."

Gina was silent as she stood there shaking her head, unable to believe her own ears.