Episode 57: Faith and Love

Start from the beginning

Yuko looked up at her Master and beamed. He remembered! But did he remember the promise he made to her?

*Tetsuya*

"Master," Yuko said as we entered Hideo's mansion. We were to stay today and depart for the capital early tomorrow.

"What's wrong?" I asked, tilting my head.

Yuko fidgeted. "Master might not remember, but he promised Yuko to bake cookies with her again. Back in the palace."

"Awww. She's so cute!" Kiara said, running over to hug her.

Lady Rene looked up at Yuko and smiled a bit. "Indeed."

"You should keep your promise, remember that a great knight always keeps his word!" Rosa said, making her way over to me.

I chuckled. "Don't worry, I will!" I glanced down at Yuko and patted her head. "Let's go make those cookies now."

Yuko beamed. "Really, Master? Yay!"

"I look forward to the cookies," Serrano said, rubbing his head. He wasn't smiling like he usually did whenever the topic of my cookies came up.

"Are you alright?" Setsuko asked him, rubbing his shoulder.

"I think Serra simply needs some rest," Ximena said. "Right?"

Serrano nodded. There was a blankness to his eyes. As if his mind were on something else.

Ximena turned away. She opened her mouth to say something, but nothing came out.

Was he still blaming himself for what happened to Dan? Or was it because Hideo's mom compared him to Azami, his father? He had abandoned my Aunt Selena, leaving her to raise Serra and Conrad by herself, so it didn't surprise me that he held remorse toward him. After all, I felt the same way toward my own father.

"I'll go and make those cookies right away. Maybe they'll cheer you up like they usually do," I said.

Serra turned around. His eyes were watery. "Thanks, Tetsu." He turned away quickly and went upstairs.

"That guy is Serrano? The strongest of the recent generation of Seven Hills? He doesn't look like much," Silas said from the white sofa he was sitting on.

I covered my mouth. "Don't let looks deceive you, kid. My cousin is stronger than he looks."

Setsuko put a hand on her hips and smiled. "That he is. Though, he is weak in some areas."

"Yes, Serrano's heart is like a house of cards," Ximena said, her hands interlocked as if in prayer. "May the Sky Father grace him with the fortitude he needs to get past this storm."

I clenched my hands into fists. I wanted to help Serra, but how could I? He wasn't one who would usually open up about his feelings. Even to me.

"I'll go talk to him," Setsuko said as she began to ascend the red carpeted stairs.

"Thanks," Ximena said with her head down.

Setsuko's gaze stayed on her for awhile. "You truly do love him, don't you?" she asked.

Ximena looked up. "I... I do. But I know that he's yours."

The crown princess shook her head. "No. He is free to break the engagement if he so wishes. Likewise for me."

My childhood friend gasped. "Do you not like him then?"

Setsuko sucked her lips in. "I'm... not sure what I feel."