Chapter 10

They did not know how to talk about what they had just seen. It was strange and wonderful, but it seemed more like a dream.

"We have to tell everyone about this," Killeen said.

Max nodded. "We tell Negan first about this."

"We should follow that plane." Johan suggested.

"Where? All we know is that it went east."

"It came from the east and turned around and went back. Why? Was it exploring to see what was out here? Or was it sending a message."

"What message?"

"'Follow me'?" Rin suggested. "It might of been a sign."

"And if its not? We don't know that there's anything out there but three hundred million Infected and Runners."

The storm clouds pulsed with heavy wind.

"I guess. Three hundred million Infected and enough people to repair, fuel, and fly an airplane. A jet. It says something. It says a lot, we will talk to the RK's first and once coming back to Sanctuary, we directly tell Negan immediately."

Two hours later the storm roiled and boiled above them, and Max knew this one was going to be the most windiest temperature ever.

In less than two hours the clouds went from white to slate grey, and forces winds from the lowlands snatched up snow and branches and used them like artillery. The wind howled through the trees, like a host of banshees. Max had neve heard anything like it, and despite everything, there was some weird little part of him that liked it. It wasn't "cool"- He'd cut off his leg before he used that word again. No, it was, in its own raw and primal way, magnificent. Nature screaming in anger, and Max could not help but believe that it was screaming in anger against all at the Infected. Some of those Infected and Runners would freeze in the cold, frozen solid they are harmless, can't move their limbs.

The kids crawled through a foliage of a door to stay warm and safe in a building, and closed the door suddenly as the wind nearly knocked him over. The storm was complicating things. Max's radio turns on. "You guys alright?" Copied Lalon on the radio

"Yeah. Went to a building up down the creek, only five minutes up to the east. Where are you guys?"

"Staying at the barn for a bit. Stay there, and when the storm is cooled down, we'll meet you, understand?"

"Understood."

"Good. Stay warm."

There was a sound.

And the kids froze.

"What was that?" Johan said, her voice thin.

Max raised his head and listened. The wind was a banshee shriek. The bones of the old building creaked and complained. Snow dripped somewhere inside.

Then they all heard it.

It wasn't the creak of old timbers. It wasn't the banging of loose shutters or the rattle of glass in loose panes.

It was a different kind of sound. The kind of sound buildings don't make unless they're haunted houses in Rin's horror books.

It was a human sound.

A grunt.

Low, but not sneaky.

Not like a Infected, it was fighting something.

And it came from the other side of the building.

And then they heard moans.

Max raised his pistol, letting himself lead the way as the kids brought their weapons in hand. He sneaks towards the door, reaching out to turn the doorknob, but he holds it. In a reflex action, he throws the door open, backing up, aiming his gun.