The Academic Prizes

What's up peep?:)

Sorry for the long wait but stuff happened:/...

I hope you enjoyed the previous chapter! It really meant a lot to me, but now that it's done, we return to the normal drama with this newest UNEDITED installment!

NOTE: For me, school is divided into 4 spearate quarters, 2 of which form a semester!

Remember to COMMENT AND VOTE!

Chapter Sixteen: The Academic Prizes

Two weeks had passed since Neil's funeral. Martha was still in her coma. We'd gone to visit her a couple of times. The doctors said that she was very stable. Her condition wasn't getting any worse, which was a relief, but it also wasn't getting any better. It was like she was stuck in between.

Life in high school had returned to normal. Tests were plenty as always, the vibe around school was gloomy. Parents of about twenty students had pulled out their children from school, on of them being Adam Avery, my dodgeball teammate. It wasn't much of a surprise considering what had just happened. Which parent would keep their kid in a school where a shooting happened?

We kept saying it aloud over and over again. "A shooting." How could that happen to us? The guilt was the worst part. Neil's mom, and the principal had talked to us a couple of times, but we still couldn't help feeling the way we did...

"How are you holding up?" asked Melissa, as I opened her car door, got in, and kissed her good morning on the cheek.

"I seriously wish people would stop asking me that," I snorted. "I'm okay, Melissa. Don't worry about me. I do appreciate the concern though," I smiled, carressing her rosey cheek. She looked so beautiful today.

"Sorry," she said, as she ignited the car's engine, and pulled out of her driveway.

"Did you finish the Biology assignment?" she I asked, as we drove to school.

"Yeh, it took me some time to finish, though. I messed up the first DNA sequence and had to redo the entire thing."

"Are you sure you have it right this time?"

"Yeh, I double checked."

"Good," she said. "It counts for ten percent of our final average. Plus, it's our last grade in Biology this semester and-"

"We have to get as muchhigh grades as we can!" I finished for her.

"Exactly!" she exclaimed.

"Don't worry, Melissa. We've got this in the bag. Do you think the school will go through with it, though? With everything that's happened, I mean..."

"I think so. Principal Collins said that the contest was postponed, not canceled. God knows we need a little joy back in the school..." she trailed off.

"You have a point there. Speaking of, have you heard from Martha?" I asked.

"I called her mom two days ago. She said that's she's still stable, but the doctors are quite hopeful. I really hope she wakes up from her coma already," she said.

"Same here. Don't worry, she'll be alraight before you know it," I said, looking into her eyes now that she had pulled up in the school parking lot.

We got out of the blue car, closed the doors, then Melissa locked them, as we joined hands and entered campus.

Riley and Nick soon joined us as they both arrived. Somehow, we'd all become friends. I guess it's true that when you go through something horrible with someone, some sort of bond is developed. Though Riley and Nick were still in an awkward place, they'd still exchange hellos every once in a while, but you'd never catch them hanging out together, not unless Melissa and I were with them, that is.