Funeral Bells

• Dedicated to Arine

How is everyone?!

I know it's been long, but I was on vacation, and didn't have time to write! So sorry!:$

Thanks for all the support you've been giving this story! I'll tell you that the end is near! At the pace it's going, I believe chapter 20 will be the last!

Anyway, enjoy this new UNEDITED installment! Remember to COMMENT AND VOTE!! XD

Chapter Fifteen: Funeral Bells

It had been a week since Neil's death. Seven days of torture. Everytime something made me smile, I automatically remembered him, and became guilty and even more depressed. Melissa wasn't doing any better. She kept thinking that it was her fault Neil went overboard, that her rejecting him was the trigger that set him off. For medical reasons, Neil's body hadn't been burried yet. The funeral was set for Wednesday. Today was Monday; two days before the funeral. It was our first day back, and the school was already buzzing about who was going to the funeral. Taking into account that Martha was still in a coma, not too many people were keen on paying their respect to Neil. As far as I knew, Melissa, Nick, Riley, myself, and a few other people were the only ones going. Principal Collins had announced that it was okay to skip the last three periods to go to the funeral. Still, people were reluctant to go.

"Are you okay?" I asked Melissa, while we were taking a walk in the quad.

"I guess," she shrugged sadly. "I just can't help but feel guilty. Maybe if he hadn't seen us on that balcony."

"Or if we had told someone about his behaviour that day. We could have done something," I trailed off.

"How do you think I feel?" frowned Nick, who was walking alongside us. We had somehow become friends over the whole ordeal.

"Would you guys just stop?" ordered Riley, in a strict tone. "You guys weren't the reason he died. Look, I know he was your friend and you feel guilty and all, but it wasn't your fault! Neil Barter died because his disease killed him. He stopped taking his pills, and it got the better of him. End of story. The important thing is that he was innocent. No matter what he did to Martha, it was the disease that drove him to it. He probably wouldn't have done it had he been healthy."

"He wouldn't have," I said in a low voice. Melissa and Nick nodded. By that time we had all sat down on one of the quad's wooden chairs.

"Exactly! So, let's get off our butts, and convince the rest of the students of just that!" exclaimed Riley.

It surprised me how strong she was being. She wouldn't let us feel sorry for ourselves. Eventhough she wasn't really close with Neil, she defended his honour, and wouldn't stop until she proved her point. Just like the first time I met her, she made me admire her for who she is. Old emotions were starting to flood back in. No matter how much I was trying to block them out, I couldn't deny the fact that I had feelings for Riley. I shook my head and got up to my feet.

"I have a plan," I told the three sitting in front of me.

***

We were sitting in class the next morning, during first period, when the microphone went on.

'Hello students, it's your principal speaking,'

Melancholy was evident in his voice for reasons that were obvious.

'As soon as the bell ending the first period rings, please exit your classrooms in an orderly manner, and head over to the auditorium for our weekly assembly.

Also note that due to the circumstances of the day, the faculty has decided to send you all back home after the assembly.

School will resume normally tomorrow. Thank you.'