War Room

As expected from a lilith, a powerful one attached to one of the richest and affluent clans in Europe at that, Ingrid's mistress's stronghold was more a museum filled with expensive art, furniture, and opulence than an actual fortress. But Lash's veteran eye caught the almost hidden details like heavier-than-normal doors, cleverly hidden security features and a healthy m'tada presence that confirmed that the castle-like mansion was indeed heavily fortified.

As if somehow sensing his silent examination of the premises and its security, the lilith spoke over her shoulder as they stepped down a hallway just off the main entrance they had just come through.

"I know it's a little gilded, commander, but have no fear. My stronghold has withstood both Brotherhood aggression and Degoor treachery many times over through the years."

Lash nodded in acknowledgment.

"I don't question your facility's strength, night mistress," he replied. "Just looking for where I need to be in case we're attacked."

The lilith chuckled and looked over the other shoulder at a smirking Ingrid.

"I see what you mean, captain. He does take being a soldier serious!"

Seeing the dark expression flit across Lash's face at that only deepened the lilith's amusement.

"Oh, you are a grim harbinger of death, aren't you, my friend?" she said with a broad smile. "No wonder my sister sent you and your team to North America! Fear not, commander; we'll find a good place for you to be. Staring right here!" The lilith paused there to turn to her left and push aside an unmarked door along the hallway they were traversing and step inside. Following her, Lash found his growing annoyance swept aside by a feeling of astonishment at seeing what the room held.

For the lack of a better description, it was a command center. A command center filled with cutting edge technology, including overhead live satellite feeds to massive, wall-dominating displays, tap-ins to information networks and video surveillance scattered all over Antwerp. Most, if not all of the tech was being constantly monitored by a small army of technicians, both vampire and human familiar, each busily working at their stations to keep the flow of information current and alive. Despite his grim mood, Lash found himself being impressed once more with Ingrid's mistress's level of readiness.

"Welcome to my war room," the lilith said with a sweeping gesture. "From here I can guide not only the defense of my home but gather information from every part of the world, as well as monitor the latest shipment of diamonds coming from Africa or Canada, keeping my eye on the competition while I do so."

She paused to point at one of the large viewscreens. It immediately cleared to show a top-down view of a heavily-wooded forest with some kind of structure in the middle of it. It didn't take Lash long to recognize the hunting cabin he had initially fled to after the encounter with the Hand at the airport.

"You saw the Hand attack me at the cabin?" he asked, looking over at the lilith, who quickly nodded in confirmation.

"As soon as my agents in the council chamber indicated you were returning to Europe, I watched for you at my m'tada captain's request."

That earned Ingrid a quick look, a glance she returned with a wink.

"Just looking out for you, big brother," she added. "Our clan was already being scrutinized even before North America and your erstwhile partnership with Mordecai."

"Indeed they were," the lilith added, "and closely. The Ventru may be one of the oldest clans of the People of the Night, and unified our warring tribes in the beginning against our enemies, but in doing so, they made blood enemies. Blood enemies with very long memories." She gestured at one of the smaller monitors that showed the council buildings in Berlin. "Enemies that have representation, allies, or both on the Council of the Night."