VOC Insight

"A hack of the VOC hard database?" Narcist repeated after he briefed her on what he wanted done about five minutes after he summoned her. Lash nodded.

"The Qos Viran hard database has encrypted datastreams for all three Viseith services to pipe intel directly to us without the need of an exchange between operatives," the big vampire revealed. "Normally the pipe is one way and blocked with a backflow firewall to protect their own database. But it's a firewall that has to be activated by techs on the Viseith side."

Narcist looked over at him, brow raised.

"Don't tell me one of the firewalls wasn't reactivated," she said and Lash smiled.

"That's exactly what I'm telling you," he said, sobering slightly. "And it's the one we need access to. The Viseith Obsidian Collective is the internal security division of the agency. They would've kept track of High Lord, and Councilor movements as part of their usual routine."

A quick dance over the war table's interface and the two different images of Topinov appeared over the table.

"I suspect they were tracking a vampire calling himself Topinov and posing as the Vorinov sitter on the Council. Both versions of him."

"And they were destroyed to keep that information from getting out," Narcist finished for him, quickly filling in the blanks. "That explains a lot. If there's a report that shows where the current Topinov came from to take over the actual Topinov's identity, they should have it. And we need to obtain it, if we're to figure out where the new Topinov came from."

Abruptly the veteran tech frowned.

"What angle are we following here, boss?" she asked.

"What do you mean?" Lash replied.

"If Topinov is the one that triggered the pogrom, why do we care where he came from?"

Lash took a cleansing breath before he answered.

"It might just be my naturally suspicious vampire mind but I think we're meant to think Vorinov has triggered the pogrom against Ventru so when the dust clears, we'll go after Vorinov."

"You don't think Vorinov is actually responsible?" a confused Narcist asked. Lash shook his head.

"It's too subtle for our Russian friends. They prefer blunt objects and confrontation. Not schemes and machinations. No, I think Demaskieros is trueborn Toreador, as are Giovanni and Narvaez. Toreador was one of the Original Three Clans of Europe. And they want their seat back."

Narcist was thoughtful as she worked through the logic behind Lash's suspicions.

"Okay," she said hesitantly. "That explains why they want to frame Vorinov, who took their seat. But why Ventru? Beyond the odd skirmish over resources, we never feuded with our southwestern neighbor."

The big vampire hesitated for a moment to coalesce his thoughts and feelings that had been swirling in his head.

"I think it's because we didn't help them against the Brotherhood." Lash's thoughtful expression deepened. "I'd even wager they think we let them be mauled and stood by and watched. And when I helped Mordecai take down the Brotherhood, it was already too late to save Toreader and they resent us for it."

His expression tightened.

"And now they want retribution. They want to make us pay."

Narcist nodded again, this time quicker and with confidence.

"Sadly that makes a ton of sense, boss," she said. "Nobody does vengeful like a vampire. And we're pretty good at holding grudges and being petty, too."