A Dangerous Secret

The legionnaires standing guard at Cassie's door stiffened to full attention as he stepped around the corner and into their line of sight.

"Status, Corporal?" he asked as he strode firmly towards the group of guards.

"Mistress Isla is still standing watch over Mistress Cassie," the group's commander reported. "A meal for each and four pints of blood were delivered two hours ago and we haven't heard anything, or had any requests made for at least an hour now, my Lord Commander."

Lash nodded in acknowledgment and, stepping through them, touched the apartment's biometric access panel. Recognizing him as the Lord Commander via the panel, Hunter opened the door and Lash stepped inside. Where he found Isla curled up in a lounge chair beside Cassie's bed, asleep. The Maori lilith, however, stirred as the door closed behind him.

"Lash!" she said softly in happiness, a broad smile visible on her face through the shadows.

"Cassie," he replied in a quiet voice as well, stepping to the bed with a smile of his own. A glance at Isla to make sure he hadn't disturbed her on the way by then he was kneeling by the bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I'm tired of being in bed," she replied with a note of frustration coming through in her quiet voice. She rolled towards him and reached out to tenderly touch his face.

"Thank you so much for coming to see me, though."

Lash smiled.

"Of course. Is there anything I can do for you? Where do you still hurt?"

Cassie paused to throw back the blanket covering her and swing her legs over the edge to sit up. Dressed in a loose, all-too-ordinary t-shirt and shorts, only her beauty and the melodic notes in her voice marked her as something more than a normal vampiress.

"Actually, Lash, the pain's gone," she said, looking at him. "Just a little tired now. I think my regeneration has taken care of everything the implant damaged when it went off. Ellie dropped by just before our food came and said I just needed a bit more rest then I should be good." She smiled brightly for a moment. "And she said the baby was doing good."

"Of course they are," Lash said with a grin. "Look how tough their mom is!"

Again she reached out to tenderly touch his face.

"And their dad," she added, continuing to touch his face for a long moment before: "Actually, I think you can help me with something. I feel icky after being in bed for so long, all sick and sweaty. I'd love to have a shower." She bit her lower lip. "Would you ... join me to make sure I don't fall over?"

Lash chuckled and stood, holding out his hand to help her up.

"Of course. But don't get any bright ideas, young lady. You don't have the juice to get extra frisky in there!"

Cassie giggled as she let him pull her off the bed and to her feet.

"I won't make any promises, mister," she replied with a grin. "But I will do my best to restrain myself!"

The hot water was sluicing over them several minutes later, Cassie sighing with pleasure every time Lash's hands or body touched her. They managed to get her hair washed and conditioned before, as Lash prepared to help her soap up, he found her lips on his.

The cleaning paused for a moment to let the kiss happen. Then, when it finally broke, leaving her licking off drops of his blood from her lips, he smiled.

"Well, you almost made it!" he said and her answering smile was both filled with delight. And sensuous desire.

Before she could move back in, however, there was a sound from outside the frosted chamber that was the shower. Then the door was sliding open to admit a naked Isla, an excited smile on her beautiful face.