Traveling Full Circle

And with that, he stepped back into the command center and closed the door behind him. But not before Mara followed him inside. Feeling her close behind him, he half looked over his shoulder.

"Now that we have a bit of space, are you okay?" he asked.

"I am now," Mara quickly replied. And indeed she did sound significantly better than she had just a moment ago.

Turning towards her, Lash found the willowy blonde with both hands covering her face, her wide eyes brimming with tears.

"It really is you, isn't it," she said, dropping her hands to do so. Lash smiled.

"In the flesh," he replied.

Tucking a spare strand of hair behind her ear, Mara looked at him with an almost embarrassed smile as she reached up to brush away her tears. Yet there was no denying the relief and the joy in her expression, her happiness literally shining out of her eyes.

"So much has happened, Lash. So many things ..." Mara paused as the tears reappeared and her resolve began to crumble. "The attack on my compound, the escape to Bluthold, then the attack that killed everybody. I didn't think my guard captain's message would even get out of the enclave."

She paused again to wipe away her tears and paste her smile back on.

"Just when I thought all was lost, there you are. Ingamon Lash. My childhood friend, now High Lord and Lord Commander of the Qos Viran." Her face then collapsed into a maelstrom of pain, sorrow, embarrassment, and relief.

"You saved me, Lash!"

Quickly stepping forward, Lash gathered her in and held her close as she sobbed against his chest, trembling with the power of her emotions.

"You saved me," she hoarsely whispered between sobs.

"Hush and be still," he murmured against her hair, rubbing her back consolingly as she shivered. "You're safe now. And you will never be in danger again, Mara. You have come home. Now the swords and might of House Lash will guarantee your safety!"

"You have no idea how much that means to me," Mara replied, the trembling fading and the sobs subsiding.

They stood quietly for a moment just holding each other. Then Mara took in a long, steadying breath.

"It will probably take a while for me to process everything," the Ventru lilith confessed. "But I don't want things to be awkward between us in the meantime. Could we ... try acting as though over a decade hasn't passed since we last saw each other??"

Lash thought her question over for a moment. He then nodded.

"I think I know you well enough that we could make that work," he said, his expression thoughtful yet reassuring.

"Thank the Dark Father!" she breathed with no little relief. "There's a part of me that wishes I never Ascended, that I was still living on your father's estate with my family."

Mara paused there to look up at him.

"But there's also the part that has accepted the responsibility that comes with being a lilith. Of maintaining and improving my holdings and providing for my m'tada. And guiding and nurturing our people, working to ensure our continued survival."

"Of course you have accepted that responsibility, Mara," Lash said with a smile. "Clan and House aside, you were always the strong and honorable one amongst our peers. Better than Bazo, Narya, Karaad, even me. I had to become Qos Viran to gain the strength and honor you were born with."