Extraction

Of course, reaching the garage was easier said than done. With the safe house's defenses already compromised, they couldn't rely on the automated systems to either give them warning of a further attack, or help them fend them off. They would have to rely on their native abilities and senses alone to make the traverse across the building to the underground structure holding a handful of vehicles.

So it wasn't surprising that, as they eased out of the alcove where the familiars had huddled, Lash's senses immediately pinged. A quick hand out to tap his sister on the left shoulder three times to let her know he had sensed three heat signatures approaching from the left. An equally quick nod confirmed her acknowledgment of the info then she was angling to their right, her weapons swinging to the left to target the oncoming soldiers.

For his part, Lash brought the shiva up to bear along the same sight path as he slid sideways to match his sister's movements. He could activate the futuristic weapon's smart capabilities but, while it would take out one squad, it would alert the other three to their position.

So he kept a finger off his trigger even though every instinct screamed at him to fire. It was further proof that Ingrid was right: his anger and blood hunger had compromised his judgment, making him vulnerable. He'd have to control both much better if he had even a hope of surviving this vendetta. Especially since he might not have his sister to bail him out next time!

Thankfully the Dark Father was with them and they remained undiscovered during their traverse of the main floor. It wasn't without several close calls, however, as two squads began a room-by-room clear of the house, forcing the two siblings to detour more than once. A clear that became more aggressive when the remains of the first squad, along with the dead familiars were discovered.

Finally, they were letting the armored door leading to the stairs down to the underground garage slide closed behind them. A quick glance at each other then again Ingrid led the way, her weapons ready, as they carefully and silently began their descent.

By this point, Lash could feel that the greater part of his strength had returned. Along with it the confidence that he could hold his own in a fight. Yet, as his body ached from the abuse he had so recently heaped upon it, he knew that recovery was fragile. They still needed to avoid getting into a firefight of any kind.

Which, of course, brought up the question:

"The street's going to be covered," he said in a soft voice only after they finished their descent and were satisfied they were the only two in the fairly large chamber. "I didn't have time to confirm if the underground safety track was still unimpeded."

Each Ventru safe house was equipped with a way to get clear of the building, night or day. For older holdings like those in Frankfurt that meant underground passages which often ran for several kilometers before coming out near a river, or protected ravine. They could only hope that the safety track for this particular safe house hadn't yet been compromised. Normally its status wouldn't have even been questioned, but with turned familiars upstairs all bets were off.

Ingrid grimaced as they heard a bang coming down the stairwell. It wouldn't be long before the nestari found the garage entrance.

"Then we best find out," she growled with a quick look over at her brother. Then she was quickly stepping to an access panel beside the door leading to the stairs.

A biometric scan later the panel was sliding aside, the house's systems recognizing her bloodline as Ventru. A quick dance of her fingers over the control surface and Ingrid was bringing up a schematic of the safety track, a twisting tunnel leading out to the Main River.

"I've served the Liliths for so long in other parts of the world, I wasn't sure I'd remember the access protocols," she admitted in a low voice as she brought up real-time video from security cams in the tunnel. "Almost as long as you've served the Council of the Night as Qos Viran."