Chapter 37: Dispensing Justice

Lash frowned as his helmet's HUD showed his detail's perimeter team slowly checking the grounds just outside of the Old Castle's primary wall. Not because they were doing anything wrong. Quite the opposite, actually, the various teams Ionescu and Trotsky had sent, along with Narya's Force Recon, a team of Moon Shrikes from his own House, and a Silver Legion team from Kassidy's now veteran company, smoothly integrating into his multi-clan security detail.

No, it was because they were yet to find any evidence of White Flames infiltration only twenty four hours from one of the biggest trials in vampire history. The frown faded somewhat as he looked over his shoulder at his own mixed team moving smoothly behind him, armed with Kali variants, Shivas, and the latest in neuron armor, closed tactical helmets, plate vests, and woven ceramo-fabric urban camouflage uniforms.

It was easy seeing them as a sign of things to come, when all of the Children of the Night would be unified in their efforts to defend against the forces seeking their extermination. A vampire military that will be impossible to stop on the battlefield, ripping out throats and crushing enemies on every side ...

"Hey Lash, wake up!" Narya's voice came over their private comms channel to say. Lash frowned. How did she know his mind was drifting? Oh right; they had grown up together. She had more than enough time to get used to some of his behaviors.

"Something on your mind, Narya?" he replied over the same channel.

"Yeah. Is it weird that we're not finding a single trace of White Flames meddling only twenty four hours from the start of the trial?"

Lash grimaced then stepped to the side and stopped, indicating his team continue on their patrol route along the top of the main wall with a gesture.

"I'll admit, it's disquieting," he rumbled in reply even as he now followed his team in his HUD. "While it's not impossible that Tanner has abandoned his vampiric ally, Demaskieros knows too much about the White Flames operation to be left untouched. He's a loose end that needs to be taken care of."

He paused to look back at the squarish bulk of the Old Castle's primary keep. No matter how advanced they got, it always came back to caves and stone castles when vampires wanted to feel safe. Likely because both were good at keeping sunlight out.

Somewhere in the dungeons, which were buried a couple stories below the main keep, languished the three traitors: Narvaez, Giovanni, and their master, Demaskieros. The two puppets were as good as already executed, their parts in the coup and attacks on the Conclave well documented. Tanner wouldn't risk further lost assets to recover them.

Demaskieros, on the other hand ...

"It's possible we might have outmaneuvered them by taking the trial to the Old Castle," he said thoughtfully as he watched his team's progress in his HUD. "But I doubt it. The White Flames have already shown they can track their allies' nanites."

Squaring his shoulders, Lash resolutely set off to catch up to his team. He continued talking as he ate up the intervening ground with his long, powerful stride.

"Tanner knows Demaskieros is here," he said with no little confidence. "As soon as the modified human leader finishes realizing how dangerous to his 'covert' organization Demaskieros's continued existence is, he'll make his move."

The big man's expression tightened with resolve.

"I just hope the Lord General decides to come himself to see the job done," he growled.

"So we can take another major piece off the board with his death!"

****

Narcist looked up from the bank of monitors she and two of Vulcrum's surveillance specialists were watching as Lash, still in full gear minus his helmet, stepped into the makeshift war room they had built for the trial.