Risky Words

With the commander of their ground forces returning to his duties, the spymaster turned back to Lash.

"Giovanni is scheduled to arrive in approximately three hours, young master," Vulcrum indicated. "As the technique of using Compulsion while the asset is unconscious has proven quite successful, may I request an assist from yourself and Mistress Fiadh once more in the questioning process?"

Lash took a quick look back to where Fiadh was in animated conversation with Meredith, Dru, and Mara, with Naryan and Sofia listening in with interest. Even as his eyes fell upon them, Sofia looked in his direction, smiled brilliantly at seeing he was looking at them, and blew him a kiss. Returning the smile, he respectfully nodded to her before returning his gaze to Vulcrum.

"I think it's safe to say she'd be more than happy to help again, spymaster," Lash indicated. "From the beginning, my lady Fiadh has been extraordinarily vital to our efforts in defending Ventru from the pogrom, and trying to locate the traitor on the council."

Vulcrum studied Lash's face for a moment after witnessing the exchange between Lash and Sofia.

"You sound ... fond of her, my lord," he observed. "In light of that, I feel it's my duty as one of your advisors to remind you it's against both council law, and Conclave protocol for liliths to marry high lords, regardless of where that high lord is placed."

"Oh, so it's amusing to have them trailing after me, lovelorn and free with their affections. As long as I don't actually love any of them back," Lash quickly retorted with a frown. "As soon as I do, I must be reminded of law and protocol prohibiting establishing any sort of lasting relationship with one of them because somehow I must've forgotten such things since my emotions are involved in my decision making. Am I understanding that position correctly, Lord of Shadows?"

Hearing the hard tone, Vulcrum paused, studying Lash's face for a long moment. Then he was lifting his voice to say:

"Clear the room. I need to say certain things to my master that none of you have either the rank or social status to hear. Go!"

Immediately the vampires and vampiresses manning the bullpen stood up, a mix of Vulcrum's original team and techs from the First Dragon's Own support company, along with a frowning Narcist. Naryan too quickly turned and began striding towards the entrance. But not before she leveled a long look at a grim Lash.

"Honored Mistresses?" Fulcrum then said when he noticed the six liliths hadn't moved, Inaya rejoining them after the bullpen was dismissed.

"You have no authority over us, spymaster," Mara tightly pointed out. "We're staying."

A momentary flicker of irritation rippled across Vulcrum's lean face. Then he was respectfully inclining his head before looking back at Lash. He then leaned in, his expression intent.

"I take no pleasure in reminding you, young master. But I think you are too close to this to see clearly. I am not. Even as the war against the traitor rages, you must still be cognizant of a number of serious facts."

Folding his arms, Lash turned to face his spymaster, his expression hard.

"Which are?' the big vampire said in a dangerously quiet voice. If he was deterred by that voice, Vulcrum didn't show it. Instead, he quickly carried on.

"Not only are you the High Lord of your House, you are also the last Lash. A High Lord with no heirs. No trueborn brothers or sisters to take up the mantle if you pass from this world unexpectedly."

At which point Lash jerked up a forestalling hand, a gesture that immediately brought the spymaster to a halt.

"For decades my father, you, and the rest of his advisors have failed to acknowledge Ingrid's place in our family. That ends now. She may not have been birthed by a High Born concubine, like I was, but she's just as much a Lash as I am. See that you remember that, spymaster."