Unleashed

Lash grunted as Dru threw herself into his arms.

"I should kill you for putting me through that!" the Nosferatu lilith hoarsely whispered against his chest, making a soft sound of pleasure when his arms went around her to return the embrace.

"Makarov was a world eater, a specialist in penetrating governments and bringing them down from the inside," Lash revealed as he held Dru close, pausing to kiss the top of his head. "And his favorite weapons were sleeper agents."

"Which the captured liliths could've been made into while they were in those containment suits!" Dru breathed, leaning back to look into his eyes, her own wide with sudden realization.

"Precisely. While they weren't made specifically to target us, since that would mean they anticipated the rescue, the possibility of weaponized liliths was still there. Which is why I instructed both Kassidy and Kingsguard to harden the Silver Legion troops on base against pheromones. And Darktower to keep his nestari clear of any lilith."

"A plot worthy of the most devious of my clan," Dru conceded even as she wiggled herself back into him, relief radiating off her in waves. "I almost understand why you needed to confirm my loyalty." She kissed his throat.

"Almost."

Lash kissed the top of Dru's head once more before he pulled back.

"And now to confront Sofia," he grimly said.

"House Cogliano," Dru said, nodding. "That's Toreador. Clan Giovanni, if I'm not mistaken."

"You're not. And Makarov revealed Giancarlo Giovanni himself is one of the go-betweens between Romanescu's team of disruptors and Demaskieros."

"Shadrak's ghost!" she exclaimed in dismay. "Is that why Giovanni didn't take her back, I wonder? Because she's already weaponized?"

"Perhaps. She also shot me in my vision," Lash revealed, his expression dark. "So, this should be an interesting conversation." He looked down at her. "I'll dismiss the guard on your door and return your clearance to the command center on the way out." And he made to go.

Only to find Dru's hand back on his arm. Looking first at the hand, then at her with a brow raised in silent question, Lash found Dru with a hopeful smile on her beautiful face.

"Please, Lash. A moment or two longer. I really, really need some reassurance right now!"

Despite himself, Lash found a smile on his face. How could he not, after what he had just put her through.

"Okay," he said, and Dru's smile exploded into brilliance as she took him by the hand. "But only for a moment."

"I'll be quick, I promise," she said as she led him back to her bedroom.

In contrast to Dru, who had laid on her bed in her misery, wondering what had happened, Sofia was frantically pacing as she found herself filled to overflowing with nervous energy nearly an hour later.

"Mistress Sofia," one of her guards said via the intercom by the door. "Lord Commander Lash is requesting an audience."

That brought her to immediate halt to stand staring at the door, her heart pounding loudly in her ears. She swallowed harshly and tried to will her heart to slow. Then:

"Enter."

The door slid aside and the big vampire stepped in.

"Il mio bellissimo uomo," she breathed, her heart beating so hard, she could feel it in her throat trying to climb out, her eyes wide as she took in the darkly delicious vision that was the Ventru High Lord.