Punching Through

Now clear of the elevator, the Wolf Pack quickly moved down the hallway, which led almost straight to the council chamber sitting in the heart of the massive fortress. And, as they did, they found themselves firing almost continuously, every nook, cranny, and shadow holding a hiding Hand agent.

The company was nearly to the massive, floor to ceiling doors of dark, polished wood that dominated the end of the corridor when, boots scuffling on polished tile, dozens of White Flames poured out from both sides of the corridor, ceramic and steel shields in their hands.

"Kadasa!" Lash hissed. "All assets, take cover!"

The big vampire grunted as several sundogs struck him before he managed to get behind a pillar. With his back to the heavy stone column, he used his combat knife to pry the ones that were stuck in his woven armor free.

Just in time to hear a Kali set to the 12.7mm caliber setting, fire with its characteristic hum from its resonating magnetic chamber. In its shadow was the sound of dozens of impacts against hard surfaces. And that was quickly followed by cries of pain.

"Flechette setting's pretty boss, Wolf," Truk came over the comms to say. "That took out a quarter ..."

Without warning the hallway was filled with a maelstrom of high caliber weapons fire, all directed at the White Flame position. Again the wave was followed by the sound of the ceramic and metal shields in the barricade being struck, along with more cries of pain. Then the modified humans were returning fire, the hallway lighting up from the storm of sundogs that were hurled at the newcomers.

They were vampires because, as soon as the sundogs came into play, there were the hoarse screams of vampires being ashed out on contact. Vampires without neuron armor and EM generators.

Tapping his Kali's control panel to also switch it to 12.7mm flechette, Lash found himself wondering. Who had joined their assault on the council?? Another Ventru House?

No, that wasn't possible. There had been no general call to war by any Ventru Great House, even though the clan's greatest and oldest House, House Lash, was here, carrying their Clan's flag into combat.

A soft chime from his weapon acknowledged the changes. Then it began to hum as the magnetic chamber built resonance. It was a sound that was nearly lost beneath the chatter of automatic weapons fire as the newcomers traded furious fire with the remaining White Flames.

Lash waited just long enough for his weapon to signal ready. Then he was taking a half step into the hallway to send a flurry of flechettes at the far end of the White Flame formation.

Truk must've been watching him because he also stepped out from just behind him to flechette the near end. Screaming as the metal wasps ripped through the already failing barricade to slice into them, Lash watched the entire formation shudder before collapsing into itself in an attempt to fill the gaps the flechette assault had made.

Then a Ventru from the other side stepped out during a slight pause in the exchange and fired a third flechette barrage at the faltering White Flames. Hitting the center of the formation, the assault shattered it as barricade shields were ripped apart and body armor failed.

"Vorinov!" a hoarse voice shouted from further down the hallway. "Ventru has broken their backs. Wipe out the rest!!" Then the hallway was once again filled with automatic weapons fire.

This time, however, it was one way. And brief; only a minute or two of sustained fire and the White Flames were wiped out.

"Clear!" A Vorinov asset shouted and the weapons went silent.