A Possible Complication

A careful clearing of the throat drew the two out of the moment. Looking over, Lash found Narcist standing there.

"Sorry, boss. But it looks like Colonel Kassidy is being confronted by both a Nosferatu force, and a Vorinov force in the middle of her withdrawal."

Lash looked up at the screen with a frown. Which only deepened when he saw the satellite image showed one group advancing from the north on a ShadowEagle sitting on the ground, and another from the southeast.

"She is requesting advisory assistance."

Kassidy fought the impulse to sigh with relief when into her ear Lash spoke:

"Just taking a moment to study the situation, Colonel," he said. "Stand by."

"Copy that," she replied as she faced the approaching group of vampires, a hard looking group in ragtag clothing beneath their daycloaks. But there was nothing ragtag about the heavy assault weapons they were carrying, or the armor they sported, riding in on all terrain vehicles equipped with mounted heavy guns.

"I am Mikhael Trotsky of the Vorinov, commander of this element of the Ice Wolves" the lead vampire said, his vampiric touched with a hard Russian locution. He came to a halt several paces away, the handful of fighters he brought with him grouping in a loose semi-circle behind him.

"And as Vorinov is honorable in battle, I will give you the chance to answer before we fire upon you. This is disputed territory. Who are you? And what are you doing here??"

Before Kassidy could answer, however, another voice spoke from behind her, the Vorinov troops snapping their weapons to the ready in response.

"And I am Viktor Ionescu of the Nosferatu," that voice said, his vampiric flawless and without accent. "I command the Blades of Shadow, Third Regiment. Those are questions I would also like answered."

Glancing over her shoulder, Kassidy picked out Ionescu from the handful of lean Nosferatu vampires that stood there, wearing modified sun armor similar to what was issued to the Silver Legion, his helmet visor up just enough to see his face within while blocking it from direct sunlight.

As she caught sight of him, she watched as Ionescu looked past her at Trotsky.

"Trotsky," the Nosferatu commander said with something close to grudging respect. Trotsky nodded and replied in a voice that had the same tone.

"Ionescu. Decided to come out of the shadows to see what all the ruckus was about, did you?"

"I did," Ionescu replied before returning his attention to Kassidy. "I believe you were about to answer some questions for us."

"Go ahead and answer, Colonel," Lash, back in her ear, calmly directed. "You have nothing to fear from these vampires. You are there on a Conclave-sanctioned action against a traitor to all vampire kind."

"I am Colonel Kassidy of the Silver Legion," Kassidy began before turning to look at the Vorinov commander, Trotsky. "And I am here carrying out a Conclave sanctioned operation against a traitor to all vampire kind. A slaver who sells and trades liliths to non-vampire Dark Edge people!"

As Trotsky let out a low whistle of astonishment, Ionescu nodded.

"Romanescu," he said before turning and spitting on the ground. "I had wondered what that pallid maggot was doing in his hole in the ground."

"You knew Romanescu was here?" Kassidy asked, brow raised.

"Of course. He was Nosferatu, and bought supplies and equipment from a number of our local sources. I also knew he was a slaver." His expression tightened. "But I didn't know, Night Father as my witness, that the filth peddled our own queens to our enemies!"