Chapter 21: Rivers of Light

The Nighthawks began to climb up from the ocean surface as they approached Norway's craggy coastline. According to the map, the base was deep inside the fjord that protected its approach from several angles. Even as they swung in to the right to enter the fjord, they were challenged by automated gunnery and missile positions that were tucked into the front corners to hammer anything that couldn't provide the proper security codes.

Those challenges continued the entire length of the fjord right up until they could see what looked like a large spur jutting into space that had its top cut off and leveled smooth. As they had already experienced with the run down the fjord, the landing pad's outer perimeter was heavily defended with multiple missile and gunnery batteries, each moving to track them on approach.

"Hunters' Fjord has acknowledged the command codes and has cleared this unit, and Nighthawk One to land," Two's AI reported. "The base AI has suggested alacrity as sun up is within two hours of landing.

Naryan nodded as the two gunships finished their final approach and began to lower themselves towards the flattened space. Other than the landing pad, however, there was no trace of the hidden base, making it very well hidden indeed. At the last moment landing lights flared on in a distinct pattern. Using that pattern to orient themselves, the two Nighthawks whirled tightly around then extended their landing spurs.

There was a gentle bump that could be felt through the deck. Then the rear access ramp was dropping. Already standing at the top of the ramp was Ballan, Truk, Narcist and Tanner, each holding a corner of the stretcher Lash was strapped into. As soon as the ramp was settled, they were moving as quickly as they could down and towards the double door that was now visible from their current position.

Right behind them came Fiadh, Naryan and Ellie.

"Rollins, Kazza, make sure these liliths are brought to the infirmary inside the base," Naryan said as she hit the bottom of the ramp. Kazza nodded in acknowledgement as Rollins threw a casual salute to do the same. Then Naryan was out of sight, heading at a jog to the double doors.

"Welcome to Hunters' Fjord base," a quiet, sexless voice said as they stepped inside. A line of green immediately came to life on the wall, pulsing away to their left. "I am Hunter. The Lord Commander is suffering a medical emergency. He has been taken to the base's main infirmary. This line will take you there."

"Thank you, Hunter," Naryan said as she, Fiadh and Ellie began to jog down the clean, futuristic corridor.

The veteran Silver Legion officer had expected something as sophisticated and advanced as the infirmary at NachtFeuer. But when she stepped through the frosted glass doors that guarded the final approach, she nearly staggered to a halt at seeing a medical bay that could've been plucked from a science fiction movie. There were blood tanks, robotic attendants and automated medical bays similar to the ones on the gunships where the beds did all the work. But there were also advanced diagnostic suites, labs, and treatment booths that included several robotic surgery suites. All in clean blue and white plastic that felt as antiseptic as it looked.

Then her eyes were drawn to an automated bay on her left where Tanner and the Ventru were carefully easing Lash onto the treatment surface. As he was laid on the pad, his vitals appeared on a holographic display that hovered over him, along with a full-body visual of his current condition.

"I'm going to one of those labs there and make a call," Fiadh said. Naryan nodded.

"I hope whomever you're calling is listening," she added.

"Me too," Fiadh replied then quickly walked to one of the labs.

Closing the glass door behind her, she looked at the ceiling.