Assembling the Pieces

Lash pulled in a quick breath through his nose and let it hiss free again.

"Sounds like Ionescu has accepted your offer," Narya said, standing close enough to have caught Lash's side of the conversation. Lash looked over at her and nodded.

"Now to get Trotsky onboard," he said. "Hunter, find me Mikhael Trotsky. He should be in the city somewhere, supporting the Dragon's Own efforts to secure Varos Ejzhaka."

"Affirmative, Lord Commander. I have located him and established a commlink. You may speak whenever you're ready, my lord."

Lash sucked in another quick breath. Then:

"Lord Mikhael Trotsky of House Trotsky, Clan Vorinov," he said, again making sure his tone was formal. "This is Lord Commander ..."

"Ingamon Lash," Trotsky interrupted him to say, his voice hoarse and gravelly. "I know who you are, Lash. Your voice is quite distinctive. You and your House Lash troops have certainly made a mess of this place, Lord Commander. Glad to be a part of it, instead of its target!"

Despite himself, Lash found a wry smile touching his lips at the rather dark humor.

"As am I, my lord."

"Hrmph. So, what can I do for you, Lash?"

"I know you sent Orimov and a detail to help escort Demaskieros to the Conclave's holding cells but I have a favor to ask," Lash said, adopting the more conversational tone Trotsky was using.

"Something more than helping House Lash destroy the City of the Night, and crush the Nocturnum?" Trotsky retorted before snorting. "Though, to be truthful, Lash, Darktower didn't need our help. That clever bastard had everything well in hand before we even got here!"

"The Lord General may not have needed you, Mikhael, but I do. I need Vorinov represented in the security detail for Demaskieros's trial to have balance between the three major European clans. And since House Trotsky helped us take the city, and the Nocturnum, I thought it only fitting you have the honor of being the Vorinov representatives on the detail."

"I see," Trotsky said, his tone thoughtful. "House Lash will obviously represent Ventru. You are the oldest and strongest of your clan's Houses. So who's standing in for Nosferatu?"

"Ionescu," Lash replied.

"Hah! Orimov reported Ionescu nestari fighting alongside them in the Nocturnum. Bogdan and I have been trading blows over southern Poland for years, you know." Trotsky paused slightly. "And I can't think of a better House to represent Nosferatu. They are honorable and straightforward, unlike most other Nosferatu Houses. More like you Ventru, from what I've seen from Darktower and his boys and girls."

"So, that's a yes?" Lash pressed.

"It is indeed, Lash. It'll be an honor to serve beside you and Bogdan, and watch that traitorous filth Demaskieros receive his just rewards for nearly bringing down our entire civilization!"

Then he hesitated, much as Ionescu had before asking:

"Say, will we be in that fancy armor, using those fancy guns that Darktower and his people have? I think Orimov told me your team was using that gear as well."

"For the detail, yes. The entire team will be equipped with the Qos Viran equipment package," Lash confirmed.

"Party favors? Can we take them home after?" Trotsky pressed. "They were mighty impressive, Lash, that armor and those rifles. I wouldn't mind a set of that gear myself!"

"Until we rebalance the power dynamics within the nation, and between the European clans, I'm afraid not," Lash firmly indicated, anticipating resistance. "They will remain proprietary equipment belonging to the Qos Viran only. So I will be having the detail return them to the Qos Viran after the trail."