Episode 47: Pain and Bonds

*Etsuo*

I stared out of the window of Kiara's room at the sea of darkness. I closed my eyes and put a hand over them. Tears stained them. I... what was I going to tell her when she woke up? That I failed to protect her brother?

Suddenly the door opened and in walked Mai. "You're blaming yourself for what happened, aren't you? You shouldn't be," she said.

"It is. Grandfather sent me to Xeleria to keep an eye on Satoru to begin with. But then when I wasn't looking, he went ahead and pulled this."

"It was my fault Dan died at his hands!"

Mai shook her head. "It's more mine than yours. I was the one who was supposed to keep an eye on Satoru."

"Come to think about it, how did Dan get past you?" I asked, removing my hands from my eyes.

"I'm not sure. I looked and there was no signs of anyone helping him. Dan didn't open the door either. It was as if he phased through the wall."

"Phase though the wall?" That power... "Ugh."

"You alright?" Mai asked, walking over to me.

I nodded. "Y-yeah, it's just, I feel as if I'm forgetting something important."

"Something?"

I rubbed my forehead. "Y-yeah. But just trying to recall what it was is hurting my mind."

"Perhaps you should ask Kaguya to help you out," Man-kin said as he watched Mai and me from the doorway. "She could jog your memory."

I smiled. "I'll give her a visit later if it continues bothering me."

"Well, you better do it fast as Kaguya will be leaving soon."

"Huh? She is?" Mai asked.

Man-kin lowered his eyes. "Y-yeah. Grandfather gave her an important mission having to deal with the next major step of our plan."

"But then who will serve as the Rabbit Pillar?" Mai asked.

"I'm not sure. But I think it might be that boy grandfather found in the pit while searching for Dan."

"What boy?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Not sure who he is. Grandfather has kept mum about it."

I smiled a bit. "Well, why don't you go with her? You like her, don't you?"

Man-kin's face reddened. "I... I do, but she only views me as her nephew."

Kaguya was the daughter of our grandfather and Aster, making her our half aunt. Though she wasn't born yet in our time. Rather she came from the future, fifteen years from now to be exact. She would usually keep quiet about the future whenever we asked.

"Besides, my future self will meet up with her, so I only need to wait a few years," he said, averting his gaze.

"Assuming you live up to that time," Mai said, sighing.

Man-kin scratched his cheek. "I will. No matter what, I will be there to greet her."

I glanced over at Kiara. "It's too bad that Kaguya doesn't say much about the future."

"I sorta doubt that she would've been given knowledge about Dan. No offense, but the kid wasn't important to the greater scheme of things to get even a footnote in our history."

That we know of.

Mai sighed. "This place seems lonely, without that kid."

I smiled. "Were you starting to get along with him?"