Episode 38: Broken Reservoir

Start from the beginning

Etsuo chuckled. "Everyone thinks that!"

I smiled. "Well, my little brother also had white hair. Then again, so did my dad." My smile vanished at the mention of my brother and dad. Conrad...

"You have a brother?" Etsuo asked, shocked.

I averted my gaze. "I did..."

Everyone around me grew silent. Akari and Zafir knew what had happened. As had the princesses and Kohri. I had told them all to keep quiet about his fate... Thus far they have all done a good job at keeping their word.

"You did?" Etsuo asked.

I shook my head. "It'll be better to keep our distance. Should Hideo appear, he won't hesitate to shoot you down. On that topic, when do you plan to return Kiara and Dante?" I asked.

Roa patted Etsuo's shoulder. "Go on, tell him."

Etsuo's lip quivered. "Kiara has yet to wake up. We're still monitoring her situation. Dan is fine, though. I left my sister, Mai to take care of him."

"Mai? I thought her name was Mei," I said.

Man-kin chuckled. "Mai is our triplet sister. The one you met was indeed Mei."

Nori scratched his head. "How confusing."

Ximena and I chuckled. "Yeah, it is," the two of us said.

"Yeah, sometimes even those two get their names confused," Man-kin said, grinning.

That one was odd. When we met in the abyss he was rather cold, but suddenly he's friendly. Was he pretending? Or is he the type who becomes serious during battle?

"He has two personalities," Teresa whispered as she walked up behind me.

I laughed nervously. It was always so creepy how she seemed to read Tetsu and me, as if she could see through our minds.

"By the way, we need to talk about Tetsu."

I froze up. Had she heard that I nearly killed him?

Teresa sighed. "Don't worry, I understand why you did what you did. Still, it was going too far."

I lowered my eyes. "I know..." I had taken out my anger on my own life out on Tetsuya. My anger on having been born into the family I was.

"So, what Satoru said in the abyss about Tetsuya, was it true?" Roa asked, putting his hands behind his head.

Teresa opened her mouth but her voice cracked. "Uh... it's... I'm not sure. That's why I want to talk to him."

"Sadly, Tetsuya isn't here," I said. "He left with your pa."

Teresa's eyes widened. "My pa?"

I turned to look at my aunt. "You want to tell them?"

"What is he talking about?" Teresa asked, glaring at her mom. "Dad's dead, isn't he?"

Takuya stared at his mother and whispered, "Ma?"

"He means that masked man," Roa said, grinning. "I knew he had to be uncle Tekeshi!"

"What?" Teresa asked, walking over to him. "Kuroshi... is..." She snickered. "Of course. His wings, they were just like his... My pa... is alive." She smiled and fell to the floor. "Pa is alive!"

"B-but how?" Takuya asked, still looking at his ma. "Ya knew, didn't ya, Ma?"

Teresa turned back. Her eyes widened. "Wait, is that why ya reacted oddly when Tetsuya yelled out 'Pa' when he walked in? You thought that Tetsu knew?" Her mom didn't respond, remaining as still as a tree. "Come on, don't be quiet, Ma! We deserve to know."