Ten

Jay shuffled in his seat, looking impatiently at the entrance of the auditorium. He had manage to get two seats in the third last row.

"What happened Jay? Are you looking for someone? You seem anxious."

"Nothing Grandma. I'm just excited for the play to start," Jay replied, stealing another glance towards the D block entrance.

"Are you expecting someone?"

Jay seemed to have completely overlooked what she was saying. Grandma smiled to herself. Experience had taught her this.

"Is she a classmate? Oh dear, is this why you dragged me here?"

"Huh? What? No , not at all Grandma. I've wanted to see this play."

"So this girl has nothing to do with it?"

"What girl, Grandma? I'm not- I'm not looking for any girl. My friend was supposed to be here, I'm just checking on that," Jay said, trying to hide a blush.

"Is this friend of yours a girl?"

"Psst. Stop it Grandma. Remember Avi , from school? Its him."

"That's funny, because I don't remember Avi and you ever being friends. As a matter of fact, I remember on certain ocassions, you've referred to his as your sworn enemy. This is interesting," Grandma said, teasing Jay.

Jay rolled his eyes and smiled a little. Verita could be here any moment. Given , that she would be going with Avi. But she was going to be there. He was going to get to see her. And then he was going to have dinner with her family the next night. Things seemed to be going Jay's way.

Then it happened. Jay spotted Verita, from the entrance to another block. He could have spotted her in a crowded room. And there, trailing along behind her was Avi, his arch nemesis. Looking at Verita in something other than a school uniform was refreshing. Jay realized the color lavender really suited her. She wore a little lavender dress and a coat and beautiful diamond earrings. He watched them, feeling envious as they laughed, intertwined hands and made their way to their seats. He couldn't decided if he was happy seeing Verita or jealous seeing her happy with Avi. And they were close, not just platonically close. Did Avi have feelings for Verita too? Jay wasn't sure if he did, but seeing them together sure made him feel that it would have been nice if it was him instead. After all, Verita was his first real friend. Maybe all the attention she was giving him meant something.

Jay proceeded to ruin a beautiful evening as he stole glances at the happy couple enjoying the play and really enjoying each other's company. Not once did they look his way or even realize he was there too. They seemed to have such a good time. The play commenced eventually.

"What a beautiful play!" his grandma commented, bringing him back to reality.

"Really? I thought it was okay?"

"Well that was because you didn't pay much attention to it, dear boy. You were so miserably drawn to that other girl."

"I wasn't drawn grandma," Jay said, rolling his eyes,  "okay let me explain it to you. She's my first friend ever. And she's come her with someone else. And they're having a good time. That just , you know, irks me. I want her to have a good time with me, you know. As friends , obviously."

"I understand," Grandma said, smiling and realizing her grandson was obviously attracted to some young woman. And it was natural. He was hitting puberty.

"Who is this friend of yours? Might I ask?"

"Oh sure, wait let me see, umm," Jay said, looking for her through a crowd of dispersing people. Verita had already climbed and was about to exit the auditorium when Jay spotted her.

"There- the one in the lavender dress - that rather tall girl with Avi."

"Oh she's a beaut," Grandma said, looking in her direction and smiling, " a little healthy, but its okay a lot of guys like curves. Its a pity you want to be just friends with her. If I were a guy, I'd go for her."

Jay blushed.

"I suppose its the air conditioning that's causing your cheeks to go all red."

"Stop it Grandma!" Jay exclaimed, trying hard to fight his blushes away. His mouth could lie but his face wouldn't. He was really starting to like Verita.

Jay watched Verita and Avi hand in hand, so cheerful. They looked really cute together. Avi was extremely good looking. He was taller than Jay, well built. Tan. He had hazel eyes, and always looked on point. In fact, he cared about his appearance a bit too much. He dressed well, even his uniform was too prim and proper, if compared to other boys his age.
And Jay knew that girls liked that. No wonder Avi was a popular boy in school and in classes.

So Adrian was out of Verita's life, and before Jay could even think about sweeping in, Avi was already there. But he still had the dinner. That was his last chance before Verita crossed over to the dark side. He had to save his friendship. Jay was determined to do something. He had the perfect plan to do it too.

*********

It was a chilly evening, but not too chilly. Jay put on his favorite hoodie, ran his hand through his hair, put some cologne, because he knew girls liked that, tied up his sneakers in perfect bunny ears, and got ready to leave.

"Well you sure look adorable. And," Grandma said with a light sniff, "you smell nice too. In fact, too nice for a friendly dinner."

"Stop pulling my leg grandma. I don't like her."

"Well then how come it bothered you so much that she was with another guy?"

"Well its Avi that I have a problem with. Verita was my first friend. I , I like hanging out with her. But now that Avi sees that, he wants to come in between that too. Its like he can't bear to see me happy. He has major FOMO grandma, let me tell you that. He has to do everything that I'm doing."

"Sweetie. What have I taught you about women? They are not possessions. You are not the owner of Verita. She can hang out with whoever she wants. If she has fun with Avi, thats also her choice. She can enjoy hanging out with both of you, or she can pick one. And you won't retaliate if she doesn't pick you, because thats also her choice. You just have to be sensible and move on, and you know, make new friends."

"Wow Grandma, that was real motivating. I totally want to go for her now," Jay said, sarcastically.

"You know why I said it?"

"No. Obviously not."

"Because I know she's going to pick you. You're a good boy, Jay. You're smart, mature and you speak well. You care for people. You're not rash."

"But Grandma, I am awfully shy. You've seen me with other people."

"Well , you're not shy around her , are you?"

"No- no. Surprisingly, I can speak to her , a lot. Even when we run out of things to say, its never awkward or uncomfortable. Its some weird sorcery or something, Grandma."

"That's how I felt with your Grandpa, Jay. Even though it didn't work out and we got divorced eventually. When I was with him, it was beautiful. I didn't have to try too hard to hold his interest. It felt like the most natural thing in the world."

Jay went and hugged his Grandma. He didn't have his parents around, growing up, but he never felt the absence of family.

"You're a good boy, son. If she doesn't pick you, well I think she's sensible enough to make her own choices. Either way, I'm here for you."

"Thank you Grandma. I love you," Jay said, as he left the house and got into his car. On the way to Verita's house he suddenly began to feel butterflies. Real big butterflies moving around in his stomach. It was a weird feeling, one that Jay had never , ever felt before.