Twenty Three

Jay took a deep breath after he shut the door. Tara was sitting on his couch, contemplating the entire evening. It certainly wasn't the best of evenings.

"I'm extremely sorry on their behalf. You didn't deserve all those insults."

"Its okay, I understand them. They're rich, they're bound to be arrogant. Although, the recent turn of events have changed my opinion of them through and through."

"Justified. Once again, I'm really sorry. Don't listen to anything they say. You're great. Let's pretend that this party never happened."

She was very tranquil. She didn't respond at all.

Ofcourse she was disappointed with the way the Scotts had behaved with her. She rationalized her way out, but a part of her agreed that a little friendliness would not have killed anyone. They were treating her as inferior. It was completely unnecessary. They didn't have to be so disdainful towards her.

"Tara, say something, please?"

After a few moments , she finally what bothered her the most about the evening
"Jay? Are you ashamed of what I do for a living?"

Jay couldn't maintain eye contact with her after this question. He looked down and shook his head.

"I can never be ashamed of you Tara. You work hard and make your money. That's something to be immensely proud of."

"Then why'd you lie to your parents about my job?" she asked quietly.

"Because... I wanted them to like you."

"And by not telling them the truth, you achieved that?"

"I'm sorry. I should have told them the truth. It happened spontaneously, you know. I didn't want them to insult you anymore than they already did."

Tara gave a sad sigh.

"I'm tired. I guess I should go home now.  Goodnight."
Before she could leave, Jay grabbed her wrist.

"I'm sorry. Please don't go. Give me one chance to explain."

Tara shook her head. She was hurt.

"We'll talk about this later. You should get some rest. You're not well."

"It's late. I can't let you go home alone."

"I'll be fine. Bye," Tara opened his door and walked out of his apartment.

"Tara, please! " Jay pleaded as he ran behind her. She hurried down the stairs and he had to quickened his pace to keep up with her. He felt out of breath , while running behind her, but he continued

But after running down six floors, he felt something getting caught in his throat. He felt a choking sensation and began to cough. And then he couldn't breathe anymore. He began to grasp for air. His chest began to pain excruciatingly. He couldn't chase her anymore. He collapsed onto the landing, trying to breathe.

"Tah, Tar-a," the words wouldn't come out.

Tara turned around, and saw him.
"Jay!" she screamed. She put one hand on her mouth and climbed back up to the landing.

"Jay, what's happening to you?"

"My- in-haler," Jay said , completely out of breath.

"Yes, yes, your inhaler. Where is it, tell me? I'll go get it."

"Bed-room. Draw- drawer."

Tara took the house keys from  his pocket and ran back upstairs to his apartment. Inside his bedroom she rumaged through every drawer as quickly as she could to find an inhaler. She found the blue pump at last, and ran back to him. He was very uncomfortable, coughing and trying to breathe. She made him sit against a wall of the landing.  She sat beside him, put the inhaler to his mouth and pressed the spray pump.