Six

"Avi Jha is such a loser. We've gotta do something to stop him."

"I know. He sucks up to the teachers. He's a cunning,  manipulative-"

"Psychopath,  sociopath, wicked, scheming wuss  with no real talents."

"He's basically Swiper  from Dora  the Explorer."

Jay's face was tense for a second and when he heard Verita he broke into a laugh.

"That -was a bad joke, " Jay said matter -of- factly.

"But you laughed. Ha!"

"Anyways, Avi  Jha  must be dethroned immediately. He has no real talents, he just flatters his way out of situations. Its lethal  to people like us. I just hate people who win  without doing the real hard work. "

"Yeah, someone's gotta tell him to stop swiping."

Jay wanted to laugh again, but he was also really fired up.
"I can't even be mad around you. Doesn't it ick  you that he beat you on National Television?"

"Ofcourse  it does. I hate losing, and I've always been this top class debater. But let's be honest. Our viewership was like five hundred people. Not many people want to see two kids debating about food security when you can watch actual entertainment."

"So you don't hate him anymore?"

"I do. But what are we going to do ? Seek revenge? We're not kids."

"Its not such a bad idea."

"Are you kidding? We're not going to behave like psycho ex girfriends plotting traps and stuff. Tell me you are better than that!"

"Its just that Avi  always comes first. At everything. And I call short of just a few points. So much so that it's just frustrating now. No matter how much I slog, Avi is still number one. I would probably be okay with it,  but  not  with my father  keeping an eye on me all the time. Plus with my younger brother Sid excelling at everything,  I can't take it anymore. I want to show it to my dad that I'm capable, too."

"I see what this is about. Your father is pitting  you against your brother and poor Avi  has to suffer in the process."

"No. Don't be sympathetic  for the enemy. I want him to taste defeat, once atleast. He cannot get away with everything."

"Jay. Relax. This is just ninth  grade not Sparta. Stop making it seem like some war."

"Oh it is. Believe me," Jay said, in a dead serious tone . He then removed his report card from his bag.

"You see this?"

"Yeah. It's your report card. Wow you stood second? That's so cool."

"Yes we got these today. Yet again. I'm second. Not first. Verita no one remembers the second person who walked on the moon."

"Oh I do. He was Buzz Aldrin," Verita interrupted.

"Ugh. Will you support my Avi  Jha  takedown for once!"

"Jay, you've gotta stop being so competitive. I get that you are fuming with fury because you got your report cards, and ever since you came to India, Avi  has never let you come first. In  anything. And he did it today, yet again. But a takedown will only distract you from focussing on your performance.  You will get your due,  trust me. You don't need to ruin  another person for that."