Chapter 7

**

"Where's Calum?" Beatrice asks.

"I don't know. Why you ask?" Beatrice, her friends and I sit at a table in the center of the cafeteria. I don't know why she's asking about Calum because she barely knows the guy but who knows.

"I heard Luke talking to him about meeting him on field at lunch." she informs me.

"Luke needs to stay away from Calum. Them being in the same city together is already far too dangerous." I get up from my seat and practically run to the field. Without a doubt Calum is there standing in front of Luke and his friends by the boys' locker room.

"Stay away from Dani or the consequences will get worst. You think you actually have a chance at winning her heart over. Well you're wrong." Luke sneers.

"I don't like her like that. I only tutor her and she's my friend. That's all. But I do have more chances of winning her heart because I don't have a bitchy attitude like you." Calum tries to walk away after talking back to the boy he probably fears the most.

Luke grabs the back of his shirt and pushes Calum onto the ground. Luke's friends start kicking and punching him. I immediately run over to Calum who's taking in all the hits.

"Stop! You're hurting him!" I shout. "Stop it! He didn't do anything!" One of Luke's friends accidentally kick me in my leg as I try to block them away from Calum. I wipe away the tears I didn't notice I had.

"Guys, stop." Luke orders. I help Calum up from the ground and lean him up against a wall since I'm not strong enough to carry his body weight.

"What the hell made you think you could do that to him?" I ask.

"Dani, I'm-" he starts.

"Get away from me! You can't go around ordering your people to beat up my friends just because you're jealous!" I yell at luke. I don't really yell. My voice is already kinda scratchy from crying and yelling and I think I'm coming down with something.

"I'm not jealous." Luke claims.

"I heard what you were talking about, don't lie to me." I say firmly. "Leave!" Luke does as I say and walks away with his friends following close behind him.

The field isn't empty so I know a ton of people have seen this and probably recorded the whole fight. Some of the girls who watch the soccer players and baseball players practice during lunch, are looking over at Calum and I.

"We need to get you to the nurse." I say.

"No, its okay. They didn't even hurt me that bad." he lies. I touch his arm and he flinches.

"If we're not going to the nurse then I'm taking you home."

"My mom would get mad if she finds out I've been in a fight and even worse when she finds out I skipped the rest of my classes."

"You have the best grades in school so don't worry. I can always take you to house you know."

"I'll be okay. Go back to your friends or whatever," he says.

"You are my friend and I'm staying with you. Now let's get you all cleaned up." I help Calum stand up and walk to the school parking lot and into my car.

**

"Calum, just stop being a baby and take off your shirt. I need to check out the bruises." I tell him. His long sleeved shirt is not helping me with making him better.

"Fine, fine." he gives in. He pulls off his shirt over his head and all I see are muscle and abs. I try not to stare as I wrap ice packs with one paper towel around it.