20. Wake Up

Taeyong's Pov

I open my eyes slowly, blinking a few times to clear my vision. I look to my left to see Donghyuck sitting next to me, chewing on his bottom lip nervously.

"Hey kid." My voice is groggy. Hyuck jumps up, startled.

"You're awake," he says happily, a wide smile spreading over his face. I chuckle at the younger but it hurts too much.

"Hey, take it easy. You did just come out of surgery a few hours ago," he scolds. Surgery?

Then it all comes back to me. The mission, falling through the railing, ending up here. It all made sense.

"How is everyone else? Did they all get out safely," I ask. Hyuck's smile fades as he looks down. Slowly he shakes his head.

"What happened," I ask, trying to sit up but pain shoots through my abdomen so I lay back down.

"Doyoung was shot," Hyuck says quietly.

"W-What?"

"Taeil brought him to the hospital. Last I heard he was still under the knife."

"Well, where is Taeil now," I ask, worried about the older.

"He should be on his way. He's only a few floors below us," Hyuck says, almost as if on que, Taeil bursts through the door.

"Speak of the devil," Hyuck says with a soft smile.

"I assume you two were talking about me," he asks, raising a playful eyebrow.

"You know we were. When aren't we talking about my favorite hyung," Hyuck responds.

"Hey!" I reply jokingly. The pair chuckle and I smile brightly at them.

"I'll leave you two alone. Mark is down with the others in the waiting room," the younger says, getting up from his seat. I noticed the blood stains on his clothes. That was my blood.

A guilty feeling finds its way to the pit of my stomach. I made him rush me all the way here just to worry about me making it out of surgery.

He exits the room, shutting the door behind him and I turn my attention back to Taeil. He just stood there, staring at me weirdly.

"What is it," I ask softly.

"It's just, it's weird seeing you hooked up to all of those machines," he says quietly. I look up to find all of the machines and wires I was connected to.

"I won't be in here long," I say turning back to him. He was making his way across the room, opening the blinds. The sun was rising and Seoul was awakening.

"And I better never see you in here again," he says, turning his gaze back to me, taking a seat on the window seal.

"You know I can't promise that," I respond sadly. I couldn't promise anything, not with our occupation.

"I know," he responds with a sigh.

I open my mouth to say something, to say I was sorry but he cuts me off.

"It's just, I don't know if it's really worth it anymore. Seeing you laying there, all bruised and bandaged hurts me so much. I just, I want it all to go away, just for a little while. I want it to just be you and me, living in a comfortable apartment like we always wanted," Taeil rants. I watch him intently the entire time. It was supposed to be like that but my plan didn't work out well enough.

"It's not worth it. None of this is worth it. Our lives for some money, our families for some money, our loved ones for some money. None of this is worth it and it never has been!" I could see the tears in his eyes from here.

"Come over here," I say softly. He gets up and slowly walks to the bed. I move over to to make room for him and move my blanket so he could lay down.

He takes off his shoes and slowly slides into the spot next to me, head gently pressed to my chest. I put my hand carefully over him.

"We can do whatever you want. We can get that apartment and I'll tell Johnny I'll work from the base." He brings his head out from under my chin to look at me.

"Really," he asks. I could see the hopefulness in his eyes. He looked so tired.

"Yes. You mean more to me then any gang or any job. I'll always put you first," I say, cuddling him closer. A soft smile finds its way to his face and a light blush creeps onto his cheeks. The sight warms my heart.

"I love you," he says softly.

"I love you more," I say before placing a light kiss on his forehead, "Let's sleep now."

Both of them fall asleep peacefully and all of their worries melt away in each other's embrace. They can worry about all of their problems when they wake up.

A nurse walks in to check on Taeyong but stops when she sees the pair sleeping happily next to each other. She quietly exits the room, feeling her heart lighten a bit.

"Let's cut to the chase Taeyong, what did you call me here for," Sooyoung asks, swirling her drink around.

"What if I told you I had some information on 127," I ask, leaning in so she could hear me better. She sits up straight, intrigued.

"And how would you have obtained this information," she asks, raising a questioning eyebrow.

"Does the source really matter Sooyoung," I ask with a slight smirk.

"What do you have Taeyong?"

"Their newest mission is to steal the painting sitting in your best friend's basement. They're going to steal it at a certain party that is taking place in a week," I explain before leaning back in my chair, taking a sip of my drink.

What are you doing Taeyong? Why are you doing it? You're putting your brothers in danger.

The image of waking up to Taeil flashes in my head. I want a relationship with him, I want a life with him. I want something real with him and this is the only way to get it.

"I know you aren't telling me this for free."

"Moon Taeil will be at the party, make sure nothing happens to him," I say, looking her in the eye.

"I will make sure of that, you have my word Lee," she says with a nod.

"Thank you, detective."