14. Escape

11:30 pm
3 hours and 30 minutes left
Donghyuck's Pov

I heard it before I saw it. The sound of the ballroom doors being busted open, the sounds of the gunshots and the screams.

Mark quickly grabs my hand and drags me under the table, out of view from whoever was attacking.

"Shit," Mark curses, returning under the table, fumbling his gun out of the holster.

"Who is it Mark," I ask, my heart pounding.

"The police. Someone must has ratted us out," he says before going back up. The sound of the shots echo through my ears.

"Look, Hyuck, we need to get you out of here. I don't care where you go just get as far away from here as you can. Okay?"

Mark's eye held such intense fear and his hands shook violently.

"Okay Mark. Be safe, please," I say, looking into his eyes.

"Hyuck," Mark inhales deeply, "Hyuck, I love you."

"I love you too," I say with a small smile before both of us surface from under the table.

I grab my gun out of the holster and sprint towards the doorway I saw Doyoung and Joohyun disappear through. I take one last look into the ballroom

All of the members had weapons pulled, shooting at the police that were shooting back. They all tried to avoid all of the innocent people who were fleeing.

I tear my eyes away from the scene, looking around to make sure no officers were in the hallway. It was quiet though, almost as if what was going on right outside wasn't even happening.

I begin making my way up the stairs that were right next to the door. My possible ticket out.

The second story of the house was more complex. So many doors and fancy art pieces. How were you supposed to find your away around in this place?

I peer down one hallway and see the great chandelier at the end. That's it, that's the one in at the entrance, that's the way out.

I quickly begin walking through the hallway but slow when I hear the sound of footsteps. When I stop walking, they disappear. Someone's following me. I turn around to check. No one was there.

I continue walking and the steps continue, louder this time. I reach the balcony and the steps stop. Now I could feel the presence of the other person.

"Well, well, well, look who I've found," the girl says. It was someone who I couldn't possibly forget, Kim Yerim.

I slowly turn around, she stood an arms length away. Her demeanor held such wrath, her eyes were burning with strong emotion.

I raise my gun to her and set my finger on the trigger. My hands were sweaty and visibly shaking.

"I'm sorry-"

In one swift mood, Yerim kicks the weapon out of my hands. It goes sliding across the floor, stopping when it hits the wall. I look back at Yerim wide eyed.

"Oh I'm going to have so much fun ruining that pretty face of yours," she says sadistically, slipping a small knife out from her sleeve.

A wave of panic rushes over me and my stomach twists in fear. This is it, I'm going to die at nineteen. Jeno and Renjun can take care of our brothers, right?

They say before you die your life flashes before your eyes. So many memories filled my head. I should have spent more time with them.

I should have listened to Renjun's conspiracy theories, I should have spent more time with Jeno and Jaemin, I should have gone to Jisung's dance competition and Chenle's piano recital. I'm going to miss them.

She raises her arm, ready to strike. I squeeze my eyes shut and brace for the pain, mouthing 'I love you' and 'I'm sorry' for the last time though no one would hear it.

I feel a rush of wind go past and the sound of shattering glass. My eyes snap open and I turn to my left. The railing was knocked out. On the floor below lay Yerim and Taeyong, surrounded by glass and blood.

I hurry down the stairs and slide over to Taeyong, slicing my knees on glass shards. I flip him over so he's facing me. His eyes were closed and several glass pieces were protruding from his chest and stomach. I have to get him to the hospital.

I pick him up bridal style, glancing over at Yerim. She was gasping for breath as blood poured from a gash in her neck. She looks over at me, almost as if begging for help.

I wish I could help her but I couldn't carry both of them. She doesn't deserve this fate. She was my age and she was going to die before really experiencing life. Pain struck my heart as I watched her draw in her final breath.

I turn away from her and try to shake the image out of my head. I rush out of the doors and towards the car.

"Donghyuck," Taeyong croaked.

"Yes," I ask softly.

"Mark told me to come and find you. He told me to get out out of there but it looks like your the one getting me out." He chuckles painfully at the last comment.

"You'll be okay Taeyong. We'll make it out together," I say, placing him gently in my car.

I should have paid attention to the stop lights but this wasn't the time to be a law abiding citizen. If everyone who was honking knew what was happening, they would have felt differently. Or maybe they wouldn't. Maybe they wouldn't if they knew we were murderers?

I pull up to the ER and quickly get Taeyong out before rushing inside.

"Someone help! He's badly injured," I yell, grabbing the attention of everyone in the room.

A doctor and two nurses come over and take Taeyong away. I hope he'll be alright. I hope my last words to him aren't a lie.

"Excuse me sir, I have a few questions to ask you," the receptionist asks.

"Oh, yes?"

"What's your name, patients name, relationship to the patient, and the cause of the injury," she asks, her tone calm.

"Lee Donghyuck, his name is Lee Taeyong. He's my best friend and he fell through a glass table and this happened," I say, slightly bending the truth.

"Thank you sir," she says typing on her iPad, "There is a waiting room over there. You can help yourself to the water or coffee we have. We will tell you when we have an update on your friend."

I mutter a quiet 'thank you' before walking over to the waiting room. It was empty, surprisingly. I guess Seoul was mostly quiet tonight.

I take my seat in the corner, far away from anyone who walks in. Then, I break.

Tears stream down my face before I can stop them and before I know it, I'm sobbing uncontrollably. The tears drop into my hands, helping wash some of the blood away.

I can't do this anymore.

"It'll be ok kid, you'll make it through this," Taeyong says to me.

"T-Thank you hyung," I say sniffling.

We were currently sitting on the balcony at Seo Industries, looking down at the nightly hustle and bustle of Seoul.

We just got back from my first mission and it was hitting me hard. I had killed a person...

That person had a family, they had a life. I took all of it away.

"Go take care of your brothers Donghyuck, they probably miss you," Taeyong says.

"Thank you hyung," I say standing up and walking towards the doors.

"Donghyuck," Taeyong calls. I stop and turn around.

"I love you. Be safe and take care," he says earnestly.

"I love you hyung. You be safe too, I need to make sure I see your stupid face tomorrow," I say with a chuckle. Taeyong chuckles back at me.

"Goodnight Donghyuck."

"Goodnight hyung."