8. Information

8:15 pm
6 hours and 45 mins left
Donghyuck's Pov

I took my seat, a table away from my target. Kim Yerim. She sat in a beautiful maroon, velvet dress and bright earrings.

She was talking with another girl who looked slightly older than her. I watched as she laughed at something the other said. Analyzing her, mapping out my plan.

"Excuse me sir, may I interest you in a drink," one of the butlers asks, snapping me out of my concentration.

"Yes, one martini please," I say looking up at the young gentlemen who's face contorted with confusion.

I sigh and pull out out my wallet that housed my ID. I showed it to him and roll my eyes.

"I'll be right back with that sir," the man says bowing. I just nod and go back to staring at my subject. My victim.

I set my hand in palm, watching. There was a light in her eye, a sign of youth. Something I was envious of.

"Your drink sir," the butler says pulling me out of my thoughts, handing me the martini. I nod in thanks.

When I return my gaze to the two ladies, the older one is getting up. Taking her drink and bidding her final goodbyes to Yerim. My chance.

I grab my martini and stand up, walking over to her table.

"Good evening m'lady," I say in a polite tone. She looks up at me, confused as to who I was but quickly responds.

"Good evening."

Her tone is cheerful and light, unlike the feeling of this party. Her aura felt out of place. As if she were a flower growing during winter.

"Is this seat taken," I ask, gesturing to the chair the other woman had just gotten out off. She shook her head and I sat down.

"If you don't mind me asking, who are you," Yerim asks.

"I don't see how that matters," I say taking a sip of my drink, liking the way the alcohol burned my throat. I could tell my statement made her uncomfortable. I let out a loud sigh.

"My name is Haechan," I say, meeting her eyes, "You?"

"Yerim," the responds, a small smile tugging at her lips.

"Well, Yerim, it's lovely to make your acquaintance," I respond, gluing a fake smile on my face.

After about twenty minutes, I've successfully gotten Yerim tipsy, completely unaware of her surroundings.

"Why don't we go somewhere else," she asks flirtatiously with a wiggle of her eyebrow.

I look over to Taeil, who kept glancing over at time to time. He gave me a small nod, telling me it was okay to continue. I turn back to her and nod, letting her take my hand and guide me to wherever she liked.

Wherever happened to be a supply closet placed right off the ballroom.

Once I shut the door behind me, her hands are on my cheeks and her lips attack mine. My hands fly to her lips as I push her against the wall.

Her lips move to my neck as my hands roam her body but she was too distracted to notice when one hand was reaching into my belt for the gun I had hidden.

Her body goes stagnant when I place the nose of the gun against her skull. Her head still buried in the crook of my neck, too scared to move.

"Ok princess, we can do this one of two ways. Easy or hard," I whisper into her ear before I use my over hand to force her head off my shoulder. Pure terror shown in her eyes.

"What way would you like to answer my questions," I ask as I stare into her eyes, darkness laced my tone.

"Easy," she whispers quietly.

"Good girl," I praise before continuing, "Where's the painting?"

Her eyes widen in shock that I knew. No one knew, or at least, they weren't supposed to.

"T-The basement...at the end of the hall. The door is b-by the stares in the lobby," she stutters out, her eyes never leaving mine.

"Good. Now, I will set you free. If anyone is too hear about this conversation then this will not be our last interaction of the night," I say pressing the gun harder into her skull.

She nods, tears in her eyes. I let her go and she races out of the closet. Once the door is shut again, I turn my earpiece on.

"Taeil, the painting is in the basement at the end of the hall. The door is located near the stairs in the lobby," I whisper.

"Good. All we need are the codes from Jungwoo. You can return to your seat now Hyuck. Good job."

I shut off my earpiece and leave the closet. I spot Mark across the ballroom, munching anxiously on his mash potatoes. I walk over and take the seat next to him.

He gives me a look and I know what he wants.

"I'll tell you later," I say before picking up my own fork and beginning to eat.

Why am I doing this? I have so much of my life to live. I can graduate and become successful so why this life? I'm doing it because there is no other option.

After my father died when I was young, my mother turned to alcohol and drugs, selling her body to men she didn't know. She left me and my five brothers to fin for ourselves.

When I turned sixteen and could work, I worked all I could. We bought a small one bedroom apartment and still live there.

The others offer to work but I don't want them to. They have bigger dreams then I do. I'll make the money and they can focus on school.

I had heard about 127 from the news. I wanted to join. I needed the money.

One night while I was walking home from work I found them stealing from a local jewelry store and I watched them, too scared to approach. Then one of them caught me and the rest is history.

Life is more comfortable for my brother's and I now but I hate keeping secrets from them. I hate being such a strong person in front of them when all I really am is a killer and a thief. I don't know how much longer I can keep up the act.