13. Getaway

11:00 pm
3 hours left
Jaehyun's POV

I grind my teeth while I watch Doyoung and Joohyun talk. What is she talking about that could be so funny? Why is he twirling her hair? Why is she looking at him like that?

"Your jealousy is showing," Johnny states, motioning to how tightly I was clenching my fork. My knuckles were turning white and if the fork were a person, they'd most likely be dead.

I drop the fork onto my plate with a loud clatter, gathering the attention of everyone else at the table except the pair sitting in front of us. I grab my glass of wine and down the whole thing in one gulp.

I take in a deep breath and calm down but the second they stand up and he takes her hand, I've reached my peak. I begin to rise from my seat but both Taeil and Johnny force me back down.

"Calm down Jae, it's just a mission," Taeil says softly.

"Yeah, we all know he only has eyes for you," Johnny chimes in.

I take in a deep breath and calm down. They're right. It's just a mission. I have nothing to worry about.

The moment Mark's voice rings through my earpiece, I couldn't be happier. I could finally leave this stuffy ballroom that held too many people.

I jump up from my seat and begin walking towards the door, straightening out my suit as I go, trying not to pay attention to all of the people staring at me.

I exit the room and find Mark, Yuta and Sicheng sitting on the stairs, having casual conversation.

"Why is everyone so pissed off tonight," Yuta asks as I walk up. I look at him in confusion.

"Oh come on! You're having boy troubles too! It's written all over your face," Yuta says, adding hand gestures to get his point across. Was it really that obvious?

"He's been doing this for the last hour," Mark states, crossing his arms and rolling his eyes. I chuckle at the younger's annoyance.

"Alright, alright, we have a mission. Can I have the painting," I say bringing us back to reality. It wasn't the time for jokes.

Mark reaches behind him and hands me the case. I open it and peek in at our prize.  The others stand up, ready to return to the ballroom.

"Well, looks like I'll be off now," I say zipping the case, "Good job you three."

"Have a safe flight. Text us when you land," Mark says. I nod in response.

"Try not to miss me too much while your gone," Yuta states, a soft smile on his face. I chuckle at the olders response. Always joking.

"Good luck Jae, be safe," Sicheng says quietly.

"You guys be safe too. Don't party to hard after this," I say with a soft smile. This coaxes a smile out of all of them.

We all got a little nervous when one of us leaves because there's never a guarantee that we'll come back or who'll be left after the arrival home.

I turn away from them and walk towards the front door. Once I step outside I feel like I can finally breathe. The crisp night air drives the smell of alcohol and bad intentions out of my lungs.

Within ten minutes I'm speeding away from the Bae mansion. The long, winding roads give me an opportunity to clear my head.

I've always loved driving but the greatest thrill was always found in the race.

Suddenly a red convertible pulls out behind me, the driver hidden by the dark.

Are they following me? No, your just being paranoid. I try to push the thought out of my mind but the person stays right behind me the whole way to the city.