16. Fear

12:00 am
2 hours left
Taeil's Pov

I stop following the others once we're through the doorframe of the ballroom, pressing myself against the wall. The others exit without even noticing I'm not there.

Moments later I hear the faint clacking sound of heels and dress shoes on the floors. I press myself further against the wall, peaking in, hoping to not be seen.

Johnny's voice rings out through my headset and I try to explain to him what's going on but the connection is lost before I finish. Damnit.

The tapping gets louder as I peer through the door to see Joohyun and Doyoung entering. Joohyun had her arm around Doyoung's neck and a gun pressed into his side. They step onto the platform, almost as if they were about to perform.

"I know you're outside the door Taeil, I saw you on the security cameras," Joohyun says, her voice echoing through the room. I glance around the room, quickly spotting the small device in the corner.

I draw in a deep breath, removing my gun from its holster and slowly walk into the room.

"Oh look who's come to play," Joohyun says, fake surprise spreading over her features while sending shivers down my spine.

"It doesn't have to be like this Joohyun. Just give me Doyoung and this can be over," I try to reason. Making deals was the thing I'm best at.

"The time for negotiation is long over Moon Taeil. I had strict orders to catch all of you pests but I caught the one I wanted," she says, a smirk taking form on her lips.

What could she want with Doyoung? I thought they'd never spoken before the award show.

"How does it feel Kim Young? Once so in your prime just to be dragged down by the daughter of the man you murdered all those years ago. At least you won't die alone," she say sadistically, digging her gun deeper into Doyoung's side. Pain and discomfort overtake his features. 

He squirms to escape the jabbing but Joohyun tightens her grip around his neck causing him to stop moving.

Kim Young! There's no way? It can't be Doyoung! It's impossible!

I raise my gun to her with shaky hands. She bursts out into loud, evil laughter. The sound echos hauntingly through the room. Another wave of chills washes over me.

"Don't make me laugh Moon. You won't shoot me. You don't even know how to shoot a gun ," she says wiping the imaginary tears.

I slowly move my finger to the trigger, trying to show her that I wasn't joking but I can already feel the sweat forming on my hands.

"You can't shoot me Taeil. Your pathetic and weak."

"Shut up." It comes out in barely a whisper.

"You're like a lost puppy. Always following the other members around. You are useless."

"Shut up," I say, louder but not loud enough for her to pay attention to it. Memories of my mother flood my head, my anger levels rising.

I look up at Doyoung who looked terrified. Absolutely terrified. Never before had I seen him fear anything. He was always brave and bold and rarely made mistakes.

I look into his shiny eyes, tears brimming in them. Then slowly, they start falling.

Seeing him like this brings down my anger. I had to get him out of here. We'd leave this terrible place side by side. I have to make sure that by the end of tonight, all ten of us will get out of this alive.

"How are you still apart of the gang. You can't even defend yourself, everyone has to do it for you. Your worthless, Moon Taeil, utterly worthless."

Then it all comes out. All of the anger, the fear, all of the terrible memories and locked away feelings.

"SHUT UP!" I shut my eyes tight and pull the trigger.

Two shots rang out in the empty ballroom.

A glass bottle slammed into my shoulder. I fell back onto the wall and clutched the wound.

"How dare you speak to me like that! I am your mother," she yells before smacking me.

"I'm sorry mama," I say flinching.

Mama is always like this when she gets drunk. Ever since grandma died she's never been the same.

"Now, will you forget this stupid idol idea. It's never going to happen. Do you really think you're pretty and talented enough to be an idol?"

"I'll forget it mama," I say looking down at the ground. Tears were beginning to blur my vision. She grabbed my chin and forced me to look at her. A tear slide down my cheek. She slapped me again.

"You will always look at me when I am speaking to you! And stop crying, men don't cry!"

"Yes mama," I say looking her in the eyes.

"Good boy, Taeil. Now clean up this glass mess," she says before walking towards the kitchen.

"Taeil sweetie?"

"Yes mama?"

"You know I'm just doing this to protect you right? The media is vicious. They'll chew you up. I don't want that for you baby," she says, sweetly. I just nod. She enters the kitchen to get more alcohol. I wish grandma was still around.

I grab the broom and dustpan and begin cleaning up the glass. A few pieces get stuck in my hands but I'll take care of those later.

Once I finish, I go up to the bathroom and tend to my wounds. When I'm done I take a long, hard look at myself in the mirror before I break down.

Why must the world be so cruel?