Chapter 25

🎵...NO ONE'S GONNA TAKE MY SOUL AWAY, I'M LIVING LIKE JIM MORRISON,

HEADED TOWARDS A FUCKED UP HOLIDAY...🎵 

***

OLIVIA

There's something wrong with me.

In general, maybe that will be a laughing matter. There's something always wrong with me. But nothing tops what I feel right now. My head swirls, my body almost giving up. It's like I'm standing at the top of the cliff waiting to be dropped at any moment. 

It's terrifying.

And dangerous.

Cause I'm not walking alone. Kai is taking me somewhere. Which should be the first clue for me to stop and try to understand what's happening. But I'm too pissed. Too in hurry to catch Adam. I don't have my gun with me. It's a stupid thought that makes me stop for a second but the tug in my hands reminds me how little time I have.

"Hurry, Ela. He's leaving."

I don't know who's leaving. And why I should chase them but I do. My foot loses contact with the ground and I see myself drop with a harsh smack. I wait for Kai to help me but he only stares at me with an impatient scrawl. 

"I-I am trying." 

He doesn't answer. Maybe I shouldn't hope for him to be. And when I finally force myself to stand and not feel my body losing its balance that I notice where we are. The place is on the old side of the Southside. A place I know too well. It's the same bar I found Adam at. I don't know if I will find him at the same place twice. But something in Kai's eyes makes me shake any doubt I have and step through the door. 

We both are silent as we try to find Adam in the middle of drunks and dancers. It takes me a few minutes but I know I'm not mistaken when a blur of a familiar face runs towards the upstairs. I don't bother waiting for Kai. Opening the only door that is available upstairs, I find Adam hovering over a table.

Already high as hell.

"Ela?" He slurs once he notices me standing there, looking at him with questions in my eyes. His hair is messed up, nose croaked as if someone has broken them not soon. And his eyes-

God, the way he stares at me. His eyes are dead and empty. Even worse than the first time I found him here. I have so many questions to ask him. How he got the knife. Was any of this real? Did he really help me this whole time or that was just pretending? But I only manage to blurt out,

"Why?"

"Why?" He repeats, slightly frowning. "Why what, Ela?"

The scoff comes easily. Why what? Is he really that far gone? I can stomach if he just openly hated me. Fuck, that's what I wanted from him. But when I got them...it's wrapped in a polished lie even my mother is not capable of giving.

"You send it. The knife...how did you do it?" My voice trembles. Maybe I'm not as strong as I thought myself as. 

"The knife?" He shakes his head blinking. But the empty eyes doesn't fill with emotions. How can I be angry with someone who doesn't even know how to feel? "I-I didn't send it. I told my boys to keep it hidden. I did it for you, Ela. So no cops-"

"No!" My vision blurs. I'm not crying. I'm not. "You're lying. You're always lying!"

He steps closer making me step back. "I'm not lying! Listen to me, Ela. It's all a misunderstanding. I would never hurt you like that. You know that."

Do I?

Do I though?

No, I don't. I fucking don't.